Roger Leese has a wide range of expertise in commercial, corporate, private equity, fraud, banking and financial services disputes.
Roger co-heads the firm’s Global Business and Human Rights practice which advises clients across a range of jurisdictions and sectors in connection with the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights ("UNGPs") and related international standards and local legislation. He also increasingly advises on climate change related business risk.Roger is a member of the firm's ESG Board and also sits on the firm’s Responsible Business Committee. He is responsible for the firm’s pro bono and Community Affairs programmes. Roger is a co-founder and Chair of the legal charity Advocates for International Development (A4ID), and of the environmental charity, the Lifescape Project. He is also a Trustee of RCJ Advice & Citizens Advice Islington.
- Led the Clifford Chance team defending Citi in connection with a multi-billion dollar fraud claim brought against it by Terra Firma in the English Commercial Court.
- Advised senior executives of an international business on the business's implementation of the UNGPS.
- Advised an emerging markets focused private equity fund on its safeguarding policies including considering its obligations under the UNGP.
- Led the firm's involvement in a multi year training programme in business and human rights for lawyers and businesses in India and Kenya. By focusing on the "business case" for business and human rights and educating local practitioners, this project was at the forefront of thought leadership in the field.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- St Edmund Hall, University of Oxford (BA) 1987
- Joined Clifford Chance 1988
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1990
- Partner since 2000
- Co-founder and Chair of the UK legal charity Advocates for International Development (A4ID)
- Trustee of RCJ Advice & Citizens Advice Islington (RCJCAB)
Awards and citations
- Roger Leese is "a superb lawyer who is hugely experienced on a practical level and makes the right judgement calls for his clients." He is well regarded for his expertise on fraud, professional negligence and forum litigation.
Chambers UK 2017
- Roger Leese has a broad commercial practice with particular experience in disputes involving professional negligence, forum issues and fraud. Clients say: "He's very thoughtful and a good strategist. He's one of those lawyers who will never miss a point."
Chambers UK 2016
- Roger Leese is "a sophisticated legal thinker" and "thinks outside the box".
Legal 500 UK 2016
- Awarded Litigation and Dispute Resolution Team of the Year. The award recognises Roger's and the team's work on the Citi/Terra Firma case.
The British Legal Awards 2016