Oliver Hipperson is in the asset finance group in London. Oliver advises a wide range of clients in the transportation sector, with a primary focus on the financing, leasing, trading and repackaging of aviation and maritime assets. He also advises banks and export credit agencies on export finance transactions across a wider range of sectors.
Oliver has been very active in secondary debt trading, having acted for both buyers, sellers and financiers of large secured and unsecured loan and lease receivable portfolios (including in some cases the subsequent restructuring and repackaging of those portfolios).
Oliver worked for two years in a commercial role in the investment banking division of Barclays Bank plc, giving him a particular insight into the structuring and execution of capital equipment financing transactions.
- Advised SACE, VTB Bank (Austria) and JPMorgan on the SACE-supported export financing of three Boeing 737-800 aircraft on lease to SunExpress, the first ever SACE-guaranteed transaction of a Boeing aircraft
- Advised SMBC Aviation Capital on the combined PDP financing and sale & leaseback of two new A350-900 aircraft, to be operated by Philippine Airlines Inc.
- Advised Standard Chartered Bank as on the JOLCO financing of 2 Boeing 737-800 aircraft on lease to Transavia Airlines
- Advised Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation on the JOLCO financing of two Boeing 787-800 aircraft on lease to Jet2.com Limited
- Advised Banco Santander S.A. on the structured operating lease financing of three Boeing 777-300ER aircraft on lease to Emirates
- Advised Crédit Agricole CIB and BNP Paribas on the financing of four LR1 product tankers for Scorpio Tankers Inc.
- Advised ING Bank and Standard Chartered Bank (together with the respective mandated lead arrangers) on the ECA project financing of five pipe-laying support vessels to be chartered to Petrobras, supported by Atradius Dutch State Business and UK Export Finance, and sponsored by Seadrill and Sapura Energy Berhad (including in relation to Seadrill's Chapter 11 filing)
- Advised SACE and BNP Paribas (and the three other mandated lead arrangers) on the export financing of a Fincantieri cruise ship (Hull No 6226) for Silversea Cruises, and related intercreditor arrangements
- Advised SACE, BNP Paribas, HSBC AND The Bank Of Tokyo Mitsubishi UFJ on the financing to National Grid North America for the construction of a subsea interconnector with a capacity of 1,400 MW between the United Kingdom and Norway, which won TXF's deal of the year in 2017 for best ECA backed sustainable / green deal
- Advised GE Capital on various disposals including the USD$2.2 billion sale of its European sponsor finance business to Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation Europe Limited
Clifford Chance advises GTLK on the lease of two cruise vessels to Havila Kystruten AS
17 September 2019
Clifford Chance advises Oldenburgische Landesbank on the acquisition of a loan portfolio of 2,655 loans from Erste Abwicklungsanstalt
13 May 2019
LIBOR and Operating Leases II
22 July 2019
LIBOR and Operating Leases
13 June 2018
PI Clubs Pay to be paid versus direct action
30 August 2017
Grand China – contractual termination rights and remedies at law for breach
31 May 2017
The potential impact of Brexit on cross-border aircraft financings
30 June 2016
Career and qualifications
- University College London (LLB) 1999
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2003
- Joined Clifford Chance 2004
- Vice President, Barclays Capital 2007
- Rejoined Clifford Chance 2010
- Partner since 2013
- Law Society of England and Wales
Awards and citations
- Oliver is described as "an excellent asset finance generalist".
Legal 500 2017