Monica is a partner in the Financial Regulation Group. Previously, she was a Managing Director at Morgan Stanley and Head of Legal for International Wealth Management. Monica advises global financial institutions (asset managers and sell side) on a full range of legal and regulatory issues, including: establishment of new regulated entities, regulatory reform and implementation (e.g. AIFMD, UCITSV, ALMD5, SRD2 and MiFID2/R), financial product structuring, custody issues, expanding and maintaining a multi- product and jurisdictional platform, initial margin product development, governance and financial institution M&A. She is a leading advisor on Brexit structuring issues for asset managers, banks and dealers and on FinTech, cryptoassets and cryptocustody issues for cryptoasset issuers, crypto exchanges and crypto custodians.
In Legal 500 UK, Monica is rated as a 'Leading Individual' in Clifford Chance's Tier 1 Fintech Practice and Financial Services: Non-Contentious/ Regulatory Practice. Monica is rated 'Highly Regarded' in IFLR1000 for Financial Services Regulatory and is recognised as one of the leading female lawyers in the world in IFLR1000 Women Leaders 2022. She is also recognised in Who’s Who Legal as a 'Thought Leader – GBRR' and 'Global Leader, Banking – Regulatory 2023', as well as being recognised as one of the world’s leading Regulatory practitioners in their Banking Report 2022.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Western Ontario, London, Canada (BA, Economics) 1986
- Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, Toronto, Canada (LLB) 1988
- University College London (LLM) 1990
- University of London 1997
- Institute of Advanced Legal Studies (PHD) 1997
- Joined Clifford Chance 1997
- Morgan Stanley, Managing Director & Head of Legal for International Wealth Management (Asia, EMEA and Australia) 2004
- Rejoined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2011