Melissa Fogarty specialises in domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions and corporate and commercial advisory work.
Melissa is an experienced M&A practitioner who is particularly well regarded for her ability to lead multi-jurisdictional and cross practice teams to support clients on complex transactions. Melissa also regularly advises clients on corporate law and corporate governance matters.
- Telefónica Tech on its acquisition of Cancom UK&I, to support to the continued growth of its cloud and cybersecurity divisions in the UK.
- Citi on the sale of its consumer banking business in Taiwan to DBS Group, as part of Citi's announced strategy of focussing its consumer business in Asia and EMEA on wealth management out of Singapore, Hong Kong, UAE and London.
- Barclays on the sale of its asset finance business, with total assets of £1.15 billion, to HPS Investments Partners.
- Telefonica on the £31 billion merger of its UK subsidiary O2 with Liberty Global's Virgin Media
- Cellnex on its acquisition of Arqiva's telecoms division for £2 billion
- easyJet on the implications of Brexit, particularly in relation to the majority EU ownership and control requirements for maintaining flying rights within Europe following Brexit
- easyJet on its ambitious strategy to offset carbon emissions from fuel on all of its domestics and international flights
- easyJet on the acquisition of part of Air Berlin's operations at Berlin Tegel Airport
- Barclays on the sale of its wealth and investment management business in Singapore and Hong Kong to Bank of Singapore
- Citi on the disposal of its consumer banking business in Greece to Alpha Bank
- Citi on the disposal of its consumer banking business in Spain to Banco Popular
- Citi on the sale of its consumer banking business in Hungary
- Citi on the sale of its consumer banking business in Czech Republic
- Citigroup on its disposal of its interests in the EMI Group: the recorded music business to Universal Music for GBP 1.2 billion, and the music publishing business to a consortium including Sony Corporation of America and Mubadala Development Corporation for USD 2.2 billion
- International Power on the USD 20 billion combination of International Power and the international energy assets of GDF SUEZ, and on the subsequent offer by GDF SUEZ to acquire the shares in International Power not already owned by it
- Santander on the disposal of its shareholding in Thames Water to China Investment Corporation
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Monash University (BA LLB) 2000
- Admitted as a lawyer in Australia 2002
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2008
- Joined Clifford Chance 2010
- Partner since 2012
Awards and citations
- "Melissa is deeply committed to client service and to getting the deal done … She recently worked hand in hand with me on a difficult deal in a highly charged environment. She and her team dug in and really delivered for us - it was business partnering at its very best. Beyond that, what really sets her apart is her caring attitude, for her own team as well as for me and mine. This support, that goes beyond the standard client/partner relationship, is rare to find but hugely important…"
FTSE 100 General Counsel
- Recognised as a Leading Individual
Legal 500 UK, Top-Tier M&A 2020
- Featured in The Lawyer’s Hot 100 Dealmakers 2019