Melissa Coakley advises a broad spectrum of stakeholders on consensual and non-consensual cross border restructurings, work outs, reorganisations and formal insolvencies.
Melissa maintains a focus on the Middle East, having spent five years on secondment to our Dubai office during the Dubai financial crisis.
- Advising the coordination committee of senior secured lenders in relation to the $2bn cross border Nyrstar restructuring, implemented via a mix of consensual agreements and English schemes of arrangement
- Advising the ad hoc coordination committee of secured and unsecured lenders in relation to the $800m restructuring of JBF RAK, a multinational plastics manufacturer headquartered in the UAE
- Advising the prospective administrators of a prominent listed UK retail group
- Advising certain key existing and new money/trade finance lenders to Noble Group in connection with the multi-jurisdictional financial restructuring of its US$3.2bn of indebtedness
- Advising Dubai Drydocks in respect of its 2012 and 2018 US$2bn restructurings, utilised via Decree 57 proceedings
- Advising an ad hoc committee of noteholders and new money lenders to the Abengoa group on the global restructuring of the group's c. EUR€14 billion of financial indebtedness (using an English CVA, US Chapter 11 and Spanish homologation)
Career and qualifications
- University of Newcastle Upon Tyne (LLB) 2001
- Joined Clifford Chance 2003
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2005
- Partner since May 2020
- Member of the Insolvency Lawyers Association
Awards and citations
- Recognised in the Global Restructuring Review “40 under 40”