Melissa Coakley advises a broad spectrum of stakeholders on consensual and non-consensual cross border restructurings, work outs, reorganisations and formal insolvencies.
Melissa maintains a focus on the Middle East, having spent five years on secondment to our Dubai office during the Dubai financial crisis.
- Advising UK retailer Matalan on its 2023 recapitalisation and on its 2020 £50m CLBILS liquidity raise and associated English scheme of arrangement
- Advising the Official Receiver and Special Managers in relation to the trading liquidation of a UK power station and associated litigation
- Advising Chrysoar/Harbour Energy in relation to its reverse takeover and associated restructuring of Premier Oil PLC
- Advising senior lenders in relation to the pre-packaged administration sale of the Azzurri group (owners of ASK, Zizzi and Coco di Mama restaurants)
- Advising the ad hoc coordination committee of lenders in relation to the $800m restructuring of JBF RAK, a multinational plastics manufacturer headquartered in the UAE
- Advising the coordination committee of senior secured lenders in relation to the $2bn Nyrstar restructuring implemented via a mix of consensual arrangements and English schemes of arrangement
- Advising certain key existing and new money/trade finance lenders to Noble Group in connection with the multi-jurisdictional financial restructuring of its US$3.2bn of indebtedness
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Newcastle Upon Tyne (LLB) 2001
- Joined Clifford Chance 2003
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2005
- Partner since 2020
- Council Member of the Insolvency Lawyers Association
- Member of the City of London Law Society insolvency law committee
- Member of R3 and INSOL
Awards and citations
- Ranked as an Up and Coming Partner
Chambers UK 2022 and 2023: Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency (Tier 1)
- "Melissa Coakley is extraordinary. She is hands-on, user-friendly and authoritative - a super impressive lawyer." "She is exceptional - she is all over the facts and the law in a way that makes you feel safe." "Melissa is a very clear communicator and a very commercial practitioner."
- "She is creative, works extremely hard and uses her contacts and experience to overcome challenges and get the deal done. "Melissa is bright, effective and robust."
- Ranked as a Next Generation Partner
Legal 500 UK 2022 and 2023: Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency (Tier 1)
- “Melissa Coakley is very technical and on top of the detail, while also retaining a pragmatic approach.” "Melissa Coakley displays a 'high level of technical knowledge and strategic thinking"
- Recognised in the Global Restructuring Review “40 under 40”