Matthew Newick specialises in commercial dispute resolution and regulatory enforcement, particularly complex, cross border disputes, investigations and advice in the financial sector, often involving derivatives and structured products.
Matthew is a member of our global risk leadership team.
- Representing banks in internal investigations and regulatory enforcement actions into issues such as mismarking of trading books, insider dealing/misuse of confidential information, market manipulation, misselling of financial products, sanctions breaches, client asset segregation, "dark pools", AML, anti-corruption, and selective disclosure of investment research (often involving review and remediation of systems and controls). These investigations have involved regulators and prosecuting authorities in Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, Australia, UK, US, and several European jurisdictions.
- Acting for a global bank on the Asia Pacific aspects of the global investigations into FX trading.
- Successfully defended Swedish bank, SEB, against a large Commercial Court claim (about EUR€130 million) by a hedge fund client of the bank, alleging breach of duty by the bank when closing out large index options positions during the market turmoil of October 2008 (following failure of the client to meet its margin requirements).
- Advising a global bank in connection with a USD$90 million loan guarantee against the Russian Open Joint Stock Company Russian Machines (part of Oleg Deripaska's Basic Element Group) in LCIA arbitration (London) and advising in ongoing parallel proceedings in Moscow and anti-suit proceedings in London (English law).
- Representing a a global bank in connection with the local authority derivatives furore in Italy. This includes a criminal prosecution in Milan and related civil proceedings (in Italy and England) arising from a derivative transaction with a notional amount of over EUR€400 million related to a EUR€1.6 billion bond issue by the City of Milan, alongside other criminal investigations and civil proceedings around Italy. The case included a successful legal challenge (by judicial review proceedings in the UK) against unlawful mutual legal assistance requests made by the Milan Public Prosecutor to the UK SFO.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Otago University, New Zealand (BA Hons 1st class) 1985
- Otago University, New Zealand (LLB) 1987
- Admitted as a solicitor in New Zealand 1988
- Chapman Tripp Sheffield Young, Wellington NZ 1987-1991, 1994-1995
- Joined Clifford Chance London 1991
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1993
- Qualified as solicitor advocate in England & Wales 1996
- Partner since 1999
- Moved to Clifford Chance Hong Kong 2013
- Admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong 2014
Awards and citations
- Matthew Newick is "technically very good, and very commercial," and provides "high-value advice across all aspects - broad and considered input."
Chambers Asia 2016 Regulatory
- Matthew Newick has continued to make his mark at Clifford Chance’s Hong Kong office, and acted on a number of major financial services regulatory investigations across the region.
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015 Regulatory
- [H]eavy-hitting banking litigation specialist Matthew Newick has transferred to Hong Kong from London to head the Asia disputes practice
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2014 Dispute Resolution
- Matthew Newick is "Incredibly well known and well regarded" by interviewees, who highlight him as an excellent litigator.
- "Standout'" Matthew Newick is regarded as a "tough litigator" by sources, while clients say he has "a very good feel for the issues".
- Market observers say derivatives-focused contentious lawyer Matthew Newick is a "superb all-rounder" who is "great at the big picture but not afraid of the detail".
- Matthew Newick attracts praise as a strong strategist and innovative thinker. "He isn't afraid to try something that isn't run of the mill", note interviewees.
- Matthew Newick handles a significant amount of cross-border work, particularly in Italy and Hungary, and has developed a strong regulatory investigation and litigation practice. Sources say that he is "a great person to bounce things off" and "great fun to work with".
- The "technically brilliant" Matthew Newick "knows this area inside out and can call on a very wide range of experience", clients report.
- Head of banking litigation Matthew Newick has "sound tactical and strategic judgement in complex multi-jurisdictional matters".
Legal 500 UK
- Matthew Newick has "formidable experience".
Legal 500 UK