Matthew Scully is a commercial litigator with broad experience of banking, corporate, antitrust and fraud disputes and litigation with an international dimension.
Matthew has over 18 years of experience in international commercial litigation, acting for clients in a range of sectors including tech, pharma, financial services, industrials and professional services. He has experience in relation to financial services disputes, fraud and asset tracing, corporate litigation and antitrust litigation. He has acted for clients involved in cross-border disputes, both those that involve overseas proceedings and those involving facts and evidence relating to multiple jurisdictions.
Matthew is a member of our global Corporate Culture team and is the lead partner in the firm's Global Mediation Group.
- Striking out (at first instance and on appeal) a claim against PwC and two of its partners brought by unsecured creditors.
- Successfully resisting an application for a freezing injunction against a Russian businessman brought by investors in a bank that he had previously jointly owned with his brother.
- Representing one of the bank addressees of the European Commission's statement of objections in its investigation into credit default swaps, which was subsequently terminated without any findings being made against any of the banks.
- Representing a multi-national business in a dispute with former owners of a subsidiary it had acquired, involving allegations of fraudulent accounting warranties. The case settled following a bespoke ADR process that resolved key accounting disputes between the parties, leaving them to focus on resolving the remainder of the case.
News and client work
- Clifford Chance, London
- +44 207006 1468
- Email me
- Follow me on LinkedIn
- Speaks English, French and Russian
- Practice area Litigation, dispute resolution & risk management, Antitrust, EU & trade
- Sector Banks, Capital goods, Private equity, Materials
Career and qualifications
- Trinity College Dublin (LLB (ling. franc.)) 1997
- Université Toulouse I (Maîtrise en Droit privé) 1998
- Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford (BCL) 1999
- Joined Clifford Chance 2000
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2002
- Solicitor advocate (civil) 2006
- Partner since 2014