Matt Fairclough's practice covers a broad range of debt and equity capital markets, advising on issues of debt securities, MTN, CD and CP programmes, convertible and exchangeable bonds (including pre-IPO financings), corporate hybrid capital and regulatory capital products in the UK, Europe and Africa. His clients include underwriters, corporate, financial institution and sovereign issuers and trustees.
Matt also advises on liability management transactions, including tender and exchange offers and consent solicitations, debt restructurings, debt for equity swaps and bespoke private capital markets financings. Before his relocation to London in 2020, he spent many years practising in our offices in Asia Pacific, and is a trusted advisor on regulatory issues for banks and insurers in Asia Pacific, particularly in the regulatory capital space.
Matt is an active supporter of diversity issues and a key leader of the Clifford Chance global Arcus network for its LGBTQ+ colleagues and their allies, for which he is the UK partner sponsor. Arcus aims to encourage and foster an inclusive environment at Clifford Chance that gives colleagues the choice to be open and out in all of our offices.
Most recently, Matt has advised on UCL's sustainability bond, Arçelik A.Ş green bond, Access Bank on its Additional Tier 1 issuance and Fidelity Bank on its USD 400M issuance.
- Advised University College London (higher education) on its issuance of £300M 1.625% sustainability bonds due 2061
- Advised Arçelik A.Ş. on its successful offering of €350 million 3.0% Green Bonds due 2026. Turkey’s first-ever corporate green bond issuance in the international markets.
- Advised Access Bank on the update of its US$1.5 billion Global Medium Term Note Programme and dual tranche Reg S/144A issue of US$500 million Perpetual Fixed Rate Resettable NC 5.25 Additional Tier 1 Subordinated Notes
- Advised Fidelity Bank plc on its issuance of the US$400 million 7.625 per cent notes due 2026
- Advised on the US$5 billion recapitalisation of Cathay Pacific Airways Limited, involving a US$2.5 billion issue of preference shares with detachable warrants, a US$1.5 billion rights issue and a US$1 billion bridge loan facility
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Oxford University (BA) 2000
- Joined Clifford Chance 2001
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2003
- Oxford University (MA) 2009
- Admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong 2010
- Partner since 2011
- Matt participates in a number of industry bodies, notably working with ASIFMA and the HKICPA on revisions to auditing standards and arrangements for capital markets transactions in Hong Kong. He also has participated in cross-industry consultations on bank and other financial institution resolution reform in Hong Kong.
Awards and citations
- Highly Regarded – IFLR1000 Global – Capital Markets: Debt
- Band 1 –Chambers – Capital Markets: Debt (International Firms) – China
- Leading Individual – Legal 500