Luke Tolaini has a broad experience of litigation, regulatory and investigative matters.
Luke has particular focus on investigations and proceedings involving financial crime, antitrust and regulatory infringements. He will frequently act for companies in the management of corporate crisis and on multijurisdictional risk management and policies and procedures around corporate criminal and regulatory issues.
- Advising a FTSE 100 company on parallel criminal fraud and regulatory investigations by the Serious Fraud Office and Financial Services Authority
- Defending Siemens in cartel proceedings brought by the UK's National Grid
- Defending a leading investment bank in criminal proceedings arising from the collapse of Parmalat
- Advising the creditors on multijurisdictional settlements and litigations for significant banking creditors and asset holders of Lehmans and MF Global.
Global M&A Toolkit
- Luke discusses the latest developments in enforcement since the global financial crisis (December 2014)
Deferred Prosecution Agreements webcast
- Luke presents a Thomson Reuters hosted webcast with Judith Seddon, "Deferred prosecution agreements: worth the wait?" (June 2014), looking at:
- the law and Code of Practice on Deferred Prosecution Agreements (DPAs) and other related relevant guidance
- the hurdles the prosecutor has to satisfy to enter into a DPA
- the practical issues to consider including: waiver of privilege, the use of
- material disclosed during the process and potential impact on civil proceedings.
UK Financial Conduct Authority issues first competition decision
22 February 2019
Top 8 Tech Disputes and Enforcement Risks for 2019
11 February 2019
This week at the UK regulators - 17 December 2018
17 December 2018
This week at the UK regulators - 10 December 2018
10 December 2018
This week at the UK regulators - 3 December 2018
3 December 2018
Career and qualifications
- Exeter University (History and Politics) 1993
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1998
- Joined Clifford Chance 2001
- Partner since 2008
Awards and citations
- "Luke Tolaini continues to impresses market observers, with sources commenting that "he has excellent client-handling skills and is particularly good at seeing the bigger picture."
- "Luke Tolaini is held in high regard for his expertise in competition litigation and cross-border fraud investigations."
- "Luke Tolaini is ‘a very good strategic thinker’ who is ‘excellent at managing client relations"