Ian Painter specialises in advising developers, investors, lenders, landlords and tenants on all aspects of real estate developments and major infrastructure projects, including acquisitions, disposals, lettings, forward fundings, solvent and insolvent restructurings/CVAs, financings and joint ventures.
Ian has experience acting for a wide range of clients comprising primarily of major developers, international investors, banks and sovereign wealth funds.
Ian's extensive expertise spans a variety of asset classes, including office, logistics, retail, residential and student accommodation. He is also noted as a specialist in development projects which have a direct interface with operational railway, such as over-station developments and regeneration of assets in close proximity to the London underground network.
- Helical plc on a number of major London developments, including the acquisition and development of an over-station development at Farringdon East Crossrail station, the development joint venture and forward funding at Creechurch Place, the redevelopment of 25 Charterhouse Square, and the mixed-use developments at The Bower, Old Street and at Barts Square on the site of the old St Bartholomew's Hospital.
- Battersea Project Land Company Limited on the redevelopment of the 39 acre Battersea Power Station site, including working with Transport for London on securing the Northern line underground extension from Kennington to Battersea.
- AIG Global Real Estate in connection with the acquisition, forward funding and corporate disposal of multiple student accommodation projects located throughout the UK and the Republic of Ireland, as well as the establishment of a number of pan-European joint venture investment platforms in the logistics sector.
- The Governor and the company of the Bank of England on the leasing of the whole of 20 Moorgate, London to house a new regulatory body, the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA).
Clifford Chance advises Native Land on South Kensington Underground Station Development Project
13 June 2019
Clifford Chance advises Helical and AshbyCapital on acquisition of major development project in Farringdon
21 May 2019
Clifford Chance advises Helical plc and AshbyCapital on letting to Chicago Booth School of Business
3 April 2019
Clifford Chance advises joint venture between Helical plc and Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan on hat-trick of lettings at Creechurch Place, London
12 October 2018
Clifford Chance advises Helical plc and AshbyCapital on the major pre-let of One Bartholomew, London
12 July 2018
Death on the high street? The impact of CVAs
9 May 2019
CVAs and the Struggling High Street Retailer: A New Battleground for Landlords? - 21 November 2018
21 November 2018
Landlords Beware: UK's Competition Watchdog bares its teeth to Real Estate Sector
30 October 2018
Unlocking capital from real estate: sale & leaseback transactions
5 July 2018
Unlocking Capital from Real Estate - Sale and Leaseback Transactions
6 September 2017
Career and qualifications
- Keble College, Oxford (BA Jurisprudence) 2004
- Keble College, Oxford (Masters, BCL) 2005
- Joined Clifford Chance 2006
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2008
- Partner since May 2018
Awards and citations
- Listed as an ‘Up and Coming Individual’ by Chambers & Partners UK for Real Estate: Big Ticket 2019
- Identified as a Next Generation Lawyer by Legal 500 UK for Commercial Property in 2018 / 2019
- Ian Painter advises developers and institutional investors on all manner of high-value commercial real estate matters. A client says: "Ian is an incredibly capable lawyer with a phenomenal capacity for work. I do not know anyone who works as hard or as effectively as him, and he does it with a cheerful and engaging manner - he is a joy to work with.
Chambers & Partners UK 2019
- Listed as an Associate-to-Watch by Chambers & Partners UK for Real Estate: Big Ticket 2018
- “Associate Ian Painter is a "highly capable rising star" and "one to watch," according to commentators. Painter assists a diverse list of clients with commercial real estate transactions, including inward investment”
Chambers & Partners UK 2018
- Identified as a Next Generation Lawyer by Legal 500 UK for Commercial Property in 2017