Emma Folds specialises in domestic and cross border lending.
Emma is experienced in structuring, negotiating and documenting leveraged buy-outs and other acquisition finance transactions, infrastructure financings and investment grade loans. Emma has also advised on several high profile restructurings.
- The lenders in relation to Carillion plc
- The second lien lenders in relation to the restructuring of the HC Starck group
- The CoCom in relation to the restructuring of the Pelican Rouge group
- The lenders in relation to the restructuring of Celsa UK
- Two syndicates of lenders and four bilateral lenders in relation to the recapitalisation of Outokumpu Oyj
- The lenders to Orient Hontai Capital in respect of its €720 million senior and second lien facilities for the acquisition of the Imagina Group
- On the super senior revolving credit facility sitting alongside eDreams ODIGEO's high yield bond issue
- On the financing for Cinven and CPPIB’s acquisition of Hotelbeds Group
- On the pari passu bank bond financing for the Antolin Group
- On the pari passu bank bond financing for Gestamp Automoción, S.A.
- CK Infrastructure Holdings Limited on its EUR 5.4 billion bid for the ista group including a EUR 1.99 billion bank financing
- A Chinese bidder on the financing for its bid for the UK M6 toll road
- On the financing for OTPP and Macquarie’s bid for Koole Tank Terminals
- On the financing for CKI's bids for the Fortum Finland and Fortum Sweden assets
- On a GBP£1.5 billion revolving credit facility for J Sainsbury plc
- On the USD$800 million revolving credit facility for Weir Group PLC
- On the USD$1 billion refinancing for Bacardi Limited
- The bank in relation to a £1 billion financing for Compass Group plc
- The banks on the financings for RPC Group plc's public takeover of BPI and private acquisition of three companies in the Letica group
- On a £3.60 billion revolving credit facility for British Telecommunications plc's acquisition of EE Limited
- On the US$2.5 billion refinancing for the WPP Group
Clifford Chance advises CK Infrastructure Holdings on the acquisition of ista group from CVC
28 July 2017
The digital future of syndicated loans
10 June 2019
ITV fails to Box Clever in Court Determination on Pensions Deficit
21 June 2018
Thoughts on the recently published ECB guidance on leveraged transactions
9 June 2017
Commitment letters – some hard lessons
20 October 2016
Brexit – implications for loan documentation: keep calm and carry on
27 July 2016
Career and qualifications
- Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford (MA - Modern History) 1994
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1998
- Trainee Solicitor and Qualified Solicitor at Wilde Sapte, subsequently Denton Wilde Sapte - 1996 to 2000
- Joined Clifford Chance 2000
- Partner since 2006
Awards and citations
- Emma "engenders total confidence, and has a comprehensive understanding of what is important versus what is not important"
- Emma is "one of the smartest, most diligent and meticulous lawyers I have ever come across", "she is incredibly knowledgeable and is a lawyer you can trust and completely rely on"
- Emma Folds is a "diligent, commercially astute" practitioner with a "strong work ethic."
Chambers UK 2017
- Emma Folds impresses clients and peers alike with her capable handling of corporate lendings, acquisition financings and restructurings.
Chambers UK 2016