Edward Bretherton specialises in advising on the procurement, construction and related aspects of complex construction projects in the UK and internationally.
Edward has particular experience in connection with UK development and social infrastructure projects and energy (conventional, renewable and nuclear) and infrastructure projects in the UK and internationally. He is a member of the Firm's Africa Group, and regularly advises on complex construction projects across the African continent, as well as in other emerging markets through Latin America and elsewhere.
Edward advises sponsors, contractors and lenders on:
- Energy projects, with particular expertise in Concentrated Solar Power (in South Africa, Spain, Chile, Morocco and the UAE), and on gas, coal, hydro, wind and other solar power projects around the world, including the UK, Mexico, India, Turkey, Ghana, Cote D'Ivoire, Uganda, Kenya, Argentina, Uruguay and Rwanda.
- New nuclear power projects including Hinckley Point C and Horizon in the UK, Akkuyu in Turkey and further projects in Eastern Europe and India.
- The procurement and construction of new city/community and major urban regeneration projects (including the Greenwich Peninsula, Battersea Power Station, and Helical plc's Barts Square redevelopment in the UK and new cities projects in Saudi Arabia, Oman and the UAE) as well as major sports stadia projects (including for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games and World Cup stadia projects).
- Construction aspects of the complex development financings of large UK real estate development sites, including the Wembley Estate, Camden Market and Chelsea Barracks.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- The University of Manchester, BA, Modern Languages 2003
- Joined Clifford Chance 2006
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2008
- Partner since May 2020
Awards and citations
- Ranked as a Rising Star for Construction: Non Contentious
Legal 500, 2019
- Identified as a Next Generation Partner by Legal 500 UK for Construction: Non-Contentious 2021
- "Senior associate Edward Bretherton is another name to note for his work across the mixed use developments and energy sectors, especially solar power."
Legal 500, UK, 2020