Deborah Zandstra joined Clifford Chance in 1992 and has been a Partner since 2009. She has worked in the firm's capital markets, banking and derivatives groups in London, New York and Madrid and on secondments to Citibank, London and Barclays Capital (legal departments).
Deborah is currently a member of the firm's Finance Group with special focus on sovereign related work, structured products and derivatives. Clients include major international commercial and investment banks, sovereigns, insurance companies and industry bodies. The majority of Deborah's work is highly structured and innovative and she represents both providers and users of financial products. She is able to draw upon her very broad finance, capital markets and derivatives experience to craft bespoke solutions for particular objectives.
Deborah regularly leads educational seminars on sovereign debt restructuring issues, ISDA documentation and EU matters including financial stability for clients and internally.
Deborah is the Africa Practice Leader for Sovereigns.
- Clifford Chance recognized as Latin Lawyer International Elite 2024 firm
Clifford Chance has been recognized by legal industry publication Latin Lawyer as one of eight International Elite 2024 firms.
29 August 2023
- ICMA on its Sovereign Bond Consultation Papers published in November 2010, December 2013 and June 2014
- The European Financial Stability Facility and European Stability Mechanism on sovereign debt rescheduling matters (including the second phase of the Greek PSI Transaction and on Greece's EUR€10 billion debt buy back)
- A number of financial institutions, insurance and corporates on advisory mandates related to the Eurozone crisis and related euro area financial stability measures including contingency planning
- The IIF on its private sector Task Force on Greece (June-July 2011)
- ICMA on its response to the initiative by the euro area Member States to introduce collective action clauses in all euro area debt securities from Jan 2013
- The Republic of Ecuador on its cash tender offer in respect of its sovereign bonds (conducted by way of a Modified Dutch Auction)
- The Republic of Ecuador on its fixed price cash buy back offer to investors in Italy in respect of its sovereign bonds
- The Dominican Republic on the restructuring of bank held external debt of the Republic
- The financial advisor to ABRA in relation to the retail sector holdings of Argentina defaulted bonds
- On repackaging of sovereign claims
- On debt capital market issues for a variety of entities including emerging market, state-owned and first time issuers in Europe and Latin America including on public deals and private placements
- On consent solicitation processes including through bondholders’ meetings (Standard Life, Pearl Group) and tender offers
- On all aspects of listing debt instruments on the London/Luxembourg stock exchanges and interacting with clearing systems, the UK Listing Authority and more generally with the Financial Services Authority in the United Kingdom
- On all aspects of due diligence on sovereigns, state-owned entities, financial institutions and corporates
- On corporate and sovereign debt rearrangements (including conversion of debt techniques)
- On a full range of financial market products including OTC fixed income derivatives (including for sovereigns), equity derivatives, credit default swaps and total return swaps
- On insurance risk transfer products including derivative and collateral components
News and client work
- Deborah's article "The European sovereign debt crisis and its evolving resolution" was published in the July edition of the Capital Markets Law Journal.
Career and qualifications
- Cambridge University (MA, History/Law) 1987
- Joined Clifford Chance 1992
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1994
- Partner since 2009
- Member of Law Society
- Member of International Law Association
- Member of Chatham House
- Member of the International Law Association Study Group on Sovereign Insolvency
- Member of the Experts Group on Sovereign Debt Restructuring established in May 2012 by the Financing for Development Office of the United Nation Department of Economic and Social Affairs
- Member of ICMA's Sovereign Bond ad-hoc Working Group
- Member of the IIF's Committee on Sovereign Risk Management
- UK's Bank of England, Financial Markets Law Committee Working Groups on collective action clauses , pari passu provisions
- The Sovereign Bond Scoping Forum
- Bretton Woods Committee
- US Treasury Staff Expert Group on Sovereign Bond Contracts (2013-2014)
- The Expert Group on Sovereign Debt Restructuring established in May 2012 by the Financing for Development Office of the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs and the Centre for International Governance Innovation