David Harkness specialises in corporate and finance tax, advising on the taxation aspects of a wide variety of mergers and acquisitions, corporate, commercial and financing transactions including domestic and international joint ventures, corporate restructuring and international tax planning.
David is also experienced in advising on tax disputes. He is regularly ranked in the Top Band of Tax Lawyers (Chambers, Legal 500) in the UK and is consistently seen as a leading individual.
David is a member of our global Tax Risk team.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Sheffield University (LLB Law) 1986
- Admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales 1989
- Joined Clifford Chance 1987
- Partner since 1996
- Global Head of Tax, Pensions and Employment
- Member of the Firm's Management Committee since 2006
Awards and citations
- "David Harkness is lauded by clients as an "experienced all-rounder who has your back in a deal and gets to the relevant issues."He regularly acts for clients in the finance sector on a variety of transactional matters, with additional expertise in tax disputes."
Chambers UK 2018, Tax (Band 1)