Jason is the global co-head of the firm’s International Arbitration Group.
Jason has over 25 years of experience acting as counsel and arbitrator, resolving major international disputes arising out of infrastructure projects, energy, aerospace, trade and investment through international arbitration and mediation. In recent years his practice has focused in particular on joint venture and shareholder disputes.
Between 2007 and 2012 Jason was Secretary General of the ICC International Court of Arbitration and Director of ICC Dispute Resolution Services, where he led a number of important innovations including the introduction of the 2012 ICC Rules of Arbitration. He is a co-author of the Secretariat's Guide to ICC Arbitration.
Clifford Chance publie l'ouvrage "Réforme du droit des contrats et pratique des affaires"
17 November 2015
Jason Fry et Simon Greenberg de Clifford Chance co-rédigent le Guide du Secrétariat de la Cour d'arbitrage de la CCI
18 September 2012
Jason Fry and Simon Greenberg from Clifford Chance co-author the Secretariat's Guide to ICC Arbitration
18 September 2012
1 August 2019
English Law and International Arbitration for China's Belt and Road
19 June 2019
Limitations on the Scope of Investor-State Dispute Settlement under the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement
29 October 2018
European Court of Justice rules on investor-State arbitration under an intra-EU BIT
9 March 2018
What does the Singapore FTA decision mean for the EU'S FTAs and Brexit?
19 May 2017
Career and qualifications
- LL.B., University of Canterbury, 1987
- B.C.L. (Hons), Oxford University, 1991
- Post Graduate Diploma in Business Strategy and Innovation (Distinction), Saïd Business School, Oxford University, 2014
- Fellow Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Barrister and Solicitor, New Zealand, 1988
- Solicitor, England & Wales, 1999
- Avocat à la Cour, Paris Bar, 2017
- Foreign Legal Consultant, California State Bar, 2017
- Partner Clifford Chance 1999
- Rejoined Clifford Chance 2012
- Member of the Paris Bar 1999
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators 2001
- Member of the Governing Body of the ICC International Court of Arbitration
- Member of the Advisory Board of Columbia University's Vale Centre on Sustainable International Investment, New York, 2011 to present
- Board Member of the IMI (International Mediation Institute), 2011 to present
Awards and citations
- "Clifford Chance's ‘hugely experienced’ 16-lawyer Paris-based team has first-hand knowledge of the ICC Court. The practice acts for French and international corporations facing shareholder, partnership, mining and construction disputes. It is handling a series of cases for a key client in the aviation sector, and is also acting in investment cases, including representing a state in its first treaty claim. Practice head Jason Fry is highly recommended, along with the ‘determined, brilliant and reasonable’ Simon Greenberg. Counsel Sandrine Colletier is also noted."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration, 2019
- "Clifford Chance has a broad aviation practice, with a team whose 'members complement each other'. The practice has a strong corporate and commercial focus, with Dessislava Savova and Fabrice Cohen forming the heart of the group, as well as a strong litigation and arbitration component alongside regulatory expertise. In a recent corporate highlight, Cohen advised Airbus on its $750m disposal of Vector Aerospace to StandardAero Aviation Holdings, while Savova acted for Airbus on the implementation of a new industrial and commercial strategy for the insourcing of key aircraft components. Thibaud d’Alès represented the Cessna Citation European Service Center in litigation against owners and managers of airplanes arising from the non-payment of repairing works. Other key contacts include Jason Fry, Simon Greenberg and Thomas Baudesson. Charles-Henri Boeringer was promoted to partner in May 2018."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Aviation, 2019
- Jason Fry is described as a "tenacious" and "tough opponent" by sources. He is well known for his experience gained working within the ICC and for his skill in handling diverse commercial arbitration matters for clients in the aerospace and energy sectors. He advises on shareholder, construction contract and other contractual disputes.
Chambers Europe, France, Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration, 2019
Chambers Global, France, Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration, 2019
- "Clifford Chance has long-established ICC experience and also handles LCIA disputes. The 15-lawyer team advises prominent French and international companies, especially in the aviation and energy sectors and often acts in shareholder and commercial partnership related cases. Recent highlights include a multibillion-dollar mining case and a significant dispute dealing with the construction of a nuclear plant. Jason Fry co-heads the firm’s global practice. Simon Greenberg is the other key element in the practice, while counsel Sandrine Colletier is also noteworthy."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration, 2018
- "Jason Fry is distinguished by interviewees as a "skilful practitioner in the field." He is experienced in advising clients from the energy, infrastructure and aerospace sectors in proceedings concerning commercial disputes."
Chambers Global, France, Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration, 2018
Chambers Europe, France, Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration, 2018
- Global international arbitration co-head Jason Fry undertakes a range of disputes, with significant knowledge of ICC proceedings. Interviewees say: "Jason Fry is very experienced in big litigation and arbitration. He has very good knowledge of the ICC rules from a strategic point of view. He is very skilled in this area."
Chambers Global , France, Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration, 2017
Chambers Europe, France, Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration, 2017
- “‘He is one of those to whom clients entrust a large portfolio of matters,’ comment sources.”
Arbitration: 35 Thought Leaders: Who’s Who Global 2017
- “He is well regarded for his knowledge of arbitral proceedings under ICC rules in particular, and has broad sector experience.”
Chambers Global, International Arbitration, 2017
- “Clients appreciate that he has ‘very good knowledge of the ICC rules from a strategic point of view. He is very skilled in this area.’”
Chambers Europe, International Arbitration, 2017
- “Jason Fry is very experienced in big litigation and arbitration…"
Chambers Europe, France, Dispute Resolution 2017
- “Jason Fry provides ‘perfect management of difficult arbitration proceedings.’”
Legal 500, France, International Arbitration, 2016