Jason Fry QC is the global co-head of the firm’s International Arbitration Group.
Jason has over 25 years of experience acting as counsel and arbitrator, resolving major international disputes arising out of infrastructure projects, energy, aerospace, trade and investment through international arbitration and mediation. In recent years his practice has focused in particular on joint venture and shareholder disputes.
Between 2007 and 2012 Jason was Secretary General of the ICC International Court of Arbitration and Director of ICC Dispute Resolution Services, where he led a number of important innovations including the introduction of the 2012 ICC Rules of Arbitration. He is a co-author of the Secretariat's Guide to ICC Arbitration.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- LL.B., University of Canterbury, 1987
- B.C.L. (Hons), Oxford University, 1991
- Post Graduate Diploma in Business Strategy and Innovation (Distinction), Saïd Business School, Oxford University, 2014
- Fellow Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Barrister and Solicitor, New Zealand, 1988
- Solicitor, England & Wales, 1999
- Avocat à la Cour, Paris Bar, 2017
- Foreign Legal Consultant, California State Bar, 2017
- Partner Clifford Chance 1999
- Rejoined Clifford Chance 2012
- Appointed Queen's Counsel (2020)
- Member of the Paris Bar 1999
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators 2001
- Member of the Governing Body of the ICC International Court of Arbitration
- Member of the Advisory Board of Columbia University's Vale Centre on Sustainable International Investment, New York, 2011 to present
- Board Member of the IMI (International Mediation Institute), 2011 to present
Awards and citations
- Jason Fry QC represents leading corporates in commercial arbitration cases. He is active across the aerospace, energy and infrastructure sectors. Ranked Band 2.
Chambers Global 2022, International Arbitration - France
Chambers Europe 2022, International Arbitration - France
- Jason Fry QC represents leading corporates in commercial arbitration cases. Clients comment: "He has nerves of steel and has incredible patience. He also has the ability to find precisely the right moment to make his move," before going on to say that he is "capable of seeing the big picture as well as never losing sight of the key details."
Chambers Global 2021, International Arbitration - France
Chambers Europe 2021, International Arbitration - France
- Jason Fry climbs the rankings on the back of excellent client feedback. He has extensive experience in commercial arbitrations, acting for clients from the aerospace, energy and banking sectors. Interviewees praise his leadership skills, noting that he allows "his team to shine, from the very top to the very bottom, with spectacular results in terms of creativity and added value."
- Chambers Global 2020, Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration - France
Chambers Europe 2020, International Arbitration - France
- "Clifford Chance's ‘hugely experienced’ 16-lawyer Paris-based team has first-hand knowledge of the ICC Court. The practice acts for French and international corporations facing shareholder, partnership, mining and construction disputes. It is handling a series of cases for a key client in the aviation sector, and is also acting in investment cases, including representing a state in its first treaty claim. Practice head Jason Fry is highly recommended, along with the ‘determined, brilliant and reasonable’ Simon Greenberg. Counsel Sandrine Colletier is also noted."
Legal 500 EMEA 2019, Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration - France
- "Clifford Chance has a broad aviation practice, with a team whose 'members complement each other'. The practice has a strong corporate and commercial focus, with Dessislava Savova and Fabrice Cohen forming the heart of the group, as well as a strong litigation and arbitration component alongside regulatory expertise. In a recent corporate highlight, Cohen advised Airbus on its $750m disposal of Vector Aerospace to StandardAero Aviation Holdings, while Savova acted for Airbus on the implementation of a new industrial and commercial strategy for the insourcing of key aircraft components. Thibaud d’Alès represented the Cessna Citation European Service Center in litigation against owners and managers of airplanes arising from the non-payment of repairing works. Other key contacts include Jason Fry, Simon Greenberg and Thomas Baudesson. Charles-Henri Boeringer was promoted to partner in May 2018."
Legal 500 EMEA 2019, Aviation - France
- Jason Fry is described as a "tenacious" and "tough opponent" by sources. He is well known for his experience gained working within the ICC and for his skill in handling diverse commercial arbitration matters for clients in the aerospace and energy sectors. He advises on shareholder, construction contract and other contractual disputes.
Chambers Europe 2019, Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration - France
Chambers Global 2019, Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration - France
- "Clifford Chance has long-established ICC experience and also handles LCIA disputes. The 15-lawyer team advises prominent French and international companies, especially in the aviation and energy sectors and often acts in shareholder and commercial partnership related cases. Recent highlights include a multibillion-dollar mining case and a significant dispute dealing with the construction of a nuclear plant. Jason Fry co-heads the firm’s global practice. Simon Greenberg is the other key element in the practice, while counsel Sandrine Colletier is also noteworthy."
Legal 500 EMEA 2018, Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration - France
- "Jason Fry is distinguished by interviewees as a "skilful practitioner in the field." He is experienced in advising clients from the energy, infrastructure and aerospace sectors in proceedings concerning commercial disputes."
Chambers Global 2018, Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration - France
Chambers Europe 2018, Dispute Resolution: International Arbitratio - France
- Global international arbitration co-head Jason Fry undertakes a range of disputes, with significant knowledge of ICC proceedings. Interviewees say: "Jason Fry is very experienced in big litigation and arbitration. He has very good knowledge of the ICC rules from a strategic point of view. He is very skilled in this area."
Chambers Global 2017, Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration - France
Chambers Europe 2017, Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration - France
- “‘He is one of those to whom clients entrust a large portfolio of matters,’ comment sources.”
Arbitration: 35 Thought Leaders: Who’s Who Global 2017
- “He is well regarded for his knowledge of arbitral proceedings under ICC rules in particular, and has broad sector experience.”
Chambers Global 2017, International Arbitration
- “Clients appreciate that he has ‘very good knowledge of the ICC rules from a strategic point of view. He is very skilled in this area.’”
Chambers Europe 2017, International Arbitration
- “Jason Fry is very experienced in big litigation and arbitration…"
Chambers Europe 2017, Dispute Resolution 2017
- “Jason Fry provides ‘perfect management of difficult arbitration proceedings.’”
Legal 500 2016, International Arbitration - France