Gauthier Martin's practice encompasses all fields of French public law, both in advice and litigation. He has notably developed a recognized expertise in regulated sectors (in the energy, telecoms and transportation fields in particular) and complex public contracts (concessions, public private partnerships, public procurement agreements) related to major infrastructures, in France and internationally.
Gauthier is further active on State aid aspects, public domain, public service and state-owned undertakings related matters. He is one of the administrators of our Clean Hydrogen Task Force and is an active member of our Energy Transition group.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Institut d’études politiques of Lyon with honours 2004
- University of Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne (Master's degree in Business Public Law) with honours 2005
- Member of the Paris Bar since 2007
- Joined Clifford Chance 2007
- Counsel 2014-2019
- Partner since 2019
Awards and citations
- Gauthier Martin is ranked as "Rising Star Partner".
IFLR 2022, Project Finance - France
- Gauthier Martin is ranked as one of the 'Leading Individuals' for Regulatory and public law.
Legal 500 2022, Industry Focus: Energy - France
- Gauthier Martin is ranked as one of the 'Leading Individuals' for the practice.
Legal 500 2022, Administrative and Public Law - France
- Gauthier Martin (Up and Coming) boasts strong experience advising across regulatory and contractual issues for clients in the energy and transportation sectors. One client praises him for working "in a smart and pragmatic way which brought the projects to a successful closing."
Chambers Europe 2022, Public Law - France
- Gauthier Martin is ranked as "up & coming" for Public Law: Public Contracts, and, for a third year in a row, for Public Law.
"One client praises him for working "in a smart and pragmatic way which brought the projects to a successful closing.""
Chambers Europe, France, Public Law, 2022
Chambers Europe, France, Public Law: Public Contracts, 2022
- Gauthier Martin is ranked as "Leading Individual".
Legal 500 2021, Industry Focus: Energy (Regulatory and Public Law) - France
- Gauthier Martin is ranked as "Next Generation Partner".
Legal 500 2021, Administrative and Public Law - France
- Gauthier Martin is ranked as "Rising star partner".
IFLR EMEA 2021, Project finance - France
- For a second year in a row, Gauthier Martin is the sole lawyer ranked as “up & coming”. One impressed client states: "His support is invaluable and his advice very relevant. His opinions are precise and allow us to respond with clarity and efficiency to our needs."
Chambers Europe 2021, Public Law – France
- For a second year in a row, Gauthier Martin is ranked as a "next generation partner", and acknowledged as “excellent” for Administrative & Public Law.
An enthusiastic client says that Gauthier Martin "has exceptional knowledge of public business law. He knows how to combine in an incomparable way the rules of law and the imperatives of his clients to provide concrete and operational answers." "Gauthier Martin is highly available, listens to his client, shows great intellectual curiosity, which allows him to anticipate potential difficulties and risks. At the same time, he is pragmatic and with a real sense of the result." Another client states : "Gauthier Martin’s legal recommendations are particularly concrete and take into account the real situations of the company to assess the risks involved. He is also very available and very responsive."
Legal 500 EMEA 2021, Administrative & Public Law – France
- Gauthier Martin enters the rankings, as sole "up & coming" lawyer for Public Law in France, following extensive client feedback. He assists clients with public contracts and public tenders, in addition to advising on the regulatory framework in the energy sector. One impressed source comments: "He is technically perfect and his commercial mindset really makes him stand out."
Chambers Europe 2020, Public Law - France
- Gauthier is ranked in the Next Generation Partners.
"Gauthier Martin has a high level of expertise."
Legal 500 EMEA 2020, Administrative and Public Law – France
- Gauthier Martin "is the other key name in the practice".
Legal 500, EMEA 2019, Administrative & Public Law - France
- Gauthier is ranked in the Next Generation Lawyers
Legal 500, EMEA 2018, Administrative & Public Law - France
- "Clifford Chance routinely handles France’s largest and most sophisticated public law contract matters and is involved in headline ongoing road, rail and internet greenfield projects. The practice acts for sponsors, investors and the French state and is ‘at the market’s forefront in preventing any possible conflict of interests - which is a major safety insurance for clients’. It notably assisted Transdev-led biding consortium with the Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport Express rail project, as well as advising Eiffage Concessions on the bidding for the RCEA road concession project. The team is also handling highly sensitive matters dealing with performance issues affecting several high-profile PPPs, especially in the high-speed rail sector. It notably advised Lisea as project concessionaire on performance difficulties regarding the new Tours-Bordeaux high-speed rail link. The firm also recently completed several brownfield transactions, notably in the energy sector, and is advising on large renewables offshore projects. The French Ministries of Environment and Justice, Meridiam and EDF EN are other clients. The ‘excellent and creative’ practice head David Préat ranks among the best in his field. Also recommended are counsels Marion Roquette-Pfister and Gauthier Martin."
Legal 500 EMEA 2018, Administrative & Public Law - France
- "Clifford Chance has one of the market’s top public-private partnership (PPP) practices. The firm is involved in major road, rail and other transport projects, advising on issues such as bids or refinancing and handling sensitive litigation. The practice is representing the Ministry of Environment and Energy in dealing with the complex issues challenging the construction of the new Nantes Airport, as well as acting for the Ministry of Transport and Ministry of Foreign Affairs in managing problems relating to the Perpignan-Figueras new high-speed rail project. Vinci, Eiffage and EDF Energies Nouvelles are also clients. David Préat ranks among the best in his field. Counsels Marion Roquette-Pfister and Gauthier Martin are also key figures".
Legal 500 EMEA 2017, Administrative and Public Law - France
- "Clifford Chance is a leading firm for PPP, public contracts and litigation. The practice, which variously assists public sector entities, sponsors and lenders, is involved in key matters. It is notably advising APRR and AREA regarding the French state’s decision to freeze privately owned motorway toll rates, and assisting the French Ministry of Transport with the A355 motorway project. The firm also advises on regulatory matters. The practice is led by David Préat. Counsels Marion Roquette-Pfister and Gauthier Martin are also involved".
Legal 500 EMEA 2016, Administrative and public law - France