Gauthier Martin's practice encompasses all fields of French public law, both in advice and litigation. He specialises in public contracts, taking part in most of the Paris office’s interventions in relation with PPPs and infrastructures for the last twelve years, advising and representing public entities, project sponsors as well as financial investors and lenders.
Gauthier notably enjoys an in-depth knowledge of the energy sector, advising number of utility companies on regulatory matters and for the implementation of their business in France. He also developed a recognised expertise in the fields of transportation, telecommunications, State-owned undertakings, State aids and sport.
Clifford Chance a conseillé Eolien Maritime France dans le cadre du développement, le financement, la construction et l'exploitation du parc éolien en mer au large de Saint-Nazaire d'une capacité installée de 480 MW
18 September 2019
Clifford Chance a conseillé le groupement attributaire sur la convention de délégation de service public portant sur le déploiement d’un réseau très haut débit dans le département de l’Eure et sur la mise en place de son financement
18 June 2019
Clifford Chance conseille LISEA et ses actionnaires dans le cadre du refinancement de la ligne à Grande Vitesse Sud Europe Atlantique
2 January 2019
Clifford Chance sur le refinancement de l’A65
20 August 2018
Clifford Chance advises Cube Infrastructure Managers on the sale of Idex to Antin Infrastructure Partners
23 May 2018
France extends its foreign investment regime and the EU moves closer to creating one
8 January 2019
Renewable Incentives Guide: Towards a Subsidy-Free World? 6th Edition
28 November 2018
Highlight on solar energy tariffs in France
7 April 2017
The privatization of large regional airports in France: key issues and opportunities
1 July 2015
Wind of uncertainty : towards another cancellation of wind energy tariffs?
12 December 2014
Career and qualifications
- Institut d’études politiques of Lyon with honours 2004
- University of Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne (Master's degree in Business Public Law) with honours 2005
- Member of the Paris Bar since 2007
- Joined Clifford Chance 2007
- Counsel 2014-2019
- Partner since May 2019
Awards and citations
- Gauthier Martin "is the other key name in the practice".
Legal 500, EMEA, France, Administrative & Public Law, 2019
- Gauthier was ranked in the Next Generation Lawyers
Legal 500, EMEA, France, Administrative & Public Law, 2018
- "Clifford Chance routinely handles France’s largest and most sophisticated public law contract matters and is involved in headline ongoing road, rail and internet greenfield projects. The practice acts for sponsors, investors and the French state and is ‘at the market’s forefront in preventing any possible conflict of interests - which is a major safety insurance for clients’. It notably assisted Transdev-led biding consortium with the Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport Express rail project, as well as advising Eiffage Concessions on the bidding for the RCEA road concession project. The team is also handling highly sensitive matters dealing with performance issues affecting several high-profile PPPs, especially in the high-speed rail sector. It notably advised Lisea as project concessionaire on performance difficulties regarding the new Tours-Bordeaux high-speed rail link. The firm also recently completed several brownfield transactions, notably in the energy sector, and is advising on large renewables offshore projects. The French Ministries of Environment and Justice, Meridiam and EDF EN are other clients. The ‘excellent and creative’ practice head David Préat ranks among the best in his field. Also recommended are counsels Marion Roquette-Pfister and Gauthier Martin."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Administrative & Public Law, 2018
- "Clifford Chance has one of the market’s top public-private partnership (PPP) practices. The firm is involved in major road, rail and other transport projects, advising on issues such as bids or refinancing and handling sensitive litigation. The practice is representing the Ministry of Environment and Energy in dealing with the complex issues challenging the construction of the new Nantes Airport, as well as acting for the Ministry of Transport and Ministry of Foreign Affairs in managing problems relating to the Perpignan-Figueras new high-speed rail project. Vinci, Eiffage and EDF Energies Nouvelles are also clients. David Préat ranks among the best in his field. Counsels Marion Roquette-Pfister and Gauthier Martin are also key figures".
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Administrative and Public Law, 2017
- "Clifford Chance is a leading firm for PPP, public contracts and litigation. The practice, which variously assists public sector entities, sponsors and lenders, is involved in key matters. It is notably advising APRR and AREA regarding the French state’s decision to freeze privately owned motorway toll rates, and assisting the French Ministry of Transport with the A355 motorway project. The firm also advises on regulatory matters. The practice is led by David Préat. Counsels Marion Roquette-Pfister and Gauthier Martin are also involved".
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Administrative and public law, 2016