David Tayar has extensive experience in handling first and second stage complex merger control investigations before both European and French antitrust agencies and in coordinating multijurisdictional filings. He regularly advises clients in restrictive arrangements and monopolization cases before European and French competition authorities and courts.
David is a Member of the Board of the Association des Avocats Pratiquant le Droit de la Concurrence.
- Prior to joining Clifford Chance, David advised clients on a wide range of matters, including merger control, horizontal and vertical agreements, abuse of dominance cases, state aid issues and antitrust litigation matters
Clifford Chance Advising Europcar on Purchase of Fox Rent A Car
7 August 2019
Clifford Chance conseille SMCP dans le cadre de l'acquisition envisagée du groupe De Fursac
26 June 2019
Clifford Chance advises PAI on its contemplated divestment of the B&B Hotels group to Goldman Sachs
21 May 2019
Clifford Chance a conseillé les fonds DIF Infrastructure III et DIF Infrastructure IV sur la cession d'un portefeuille de 29 sociétés de projet de centrales photovoltaïques à Tenergie
10 April 2019
Clifford Chance a conseillé le consortium composé d'APG, QIC et Swiss Life dans le cadre de l'acquisition de 36% du capital de Brussels Airport
4 April 2019
- Concentrations – Chroniques, Concurrences N°2, 04 June 2018
A global shift: opportunities in a changing landscape
19 February 2019
France extends its foreign investment regime and the EU moves closer to creating one
8 January 2019
EU Court of Justice clarifies the EU Merger Regulation prohibition on gun jumping?
6 June 2018
CJEU rules dominant firms' exclusivity rebates are not per se illegal
11 September 2017
Career and qualifications
- Université PARIS X (Nanterre) (Masters in Business Law and Anglo-American Law) 1995
- London School of Economics and Political Science (LL.M, European Community Law) 1996
- Université PARIS I (Panthéon Sorbonne) (Postgraduate in Private Law, DEA) 1997
- Admitted as an avocat in Paris 1999
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2017
Awards and citations
- "Market access, pricing policies, competition, public procurements, intellectual property, compliance and corporate matters all fall within the expertise of Clifford Chance's cross-disciplinary offering. Reinforced by the arrival of antitrust expert David Tayar from Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP, the team recently advised on the breakup of a joint venture between two leading global pharmaceutical players for the distribution of over-the-counter products; Tayar is also representing Teva in an investigation by the European Commission regarding a patent settlement with Cephalon. Thomas Baudesson and senior associate Gaëlle Merlier teamed up to defend a major pharmaceutical company against a series of product liability claims, including criminal charges. On the corporate front, Laurent Schoenstein assisted Synlab Labco with its acquisition of Seldaix, while regulatory expert Olivier Gaillard continues to advise on new anti-gift and transparency regulations. Other key clients include Pfizer, GSK and Novo Nordisk."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Industry Focus: Healthcare and Life Sciences, 2019
- "Clifford Chance's antitrust practice combines national and European expertise to cover the full gamut of competition matters through the experience of Katrin Schallenberg and David Tayar. The pair jointly head the practice, supported by of counsel Michel Petite. As well as overseeing Europcar's acquisition of Goldcar, the group recently handled Axel Springer's sale of 78.4% of the Aufeminin group to TF1. Schallenberg is currently representing Arkema in a claim against Honeywell on the grounds of European competition law, seeking a worldwide licence to use one of its products; Tayar is assisting Carrefour with its strategic alliance with Tesco covering the joint purchase of own-brand products and the negotiation of services with large international suppliers. Senior associate Emily Xueref-Poviac is also a key contact and is part of the team advising Oracle on a very recent FCA investigation."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, EU Competition & Distribution, 2019
- David Tayar acts for clients from the retail, IT and pharmaceutical spaces on a variety of French and European competition law issues. He demonstrates particular experience in merger clearances, state aid cases and antitrust investigations. Clients regard him as "a true business partner: very smart, sharp, responsive and practical."
Chambers Europe, France, Competition/European Law, 2019
- "Clifford Chance managed to balance the departure of former practice head Patrick Hubert and three of his associates to Orrick Rambaud Martel with the arrival of the ‘exceptional’ David Tayar, who ‘stands well above the rest of the pack’ and joined from Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP; additionally, Katrin Schallenberg was promoted to the partnership. Along with numerous high-value merger control cases in the pharmaceutical and car rental sectors, the group is representing clients such as Teva, Ingram Micro and Volkswagen in antitrust investigations. Of counsel Michel Petite successfully obtained clearance with remedies in phase two proceedings before the European Commission on behalf of Airbus Safran Launchers with regards to its acquisition of Arianespace and Marie Pacaux is also a key contact."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, EU Competition & Distribution, 2018
- "Interviewees recognise David Tayar as a "very talented partner" who has a significant track record in merger control mandates, often handling sizeable merger control investigations and filings at domestic and European levels. He also boasts experience of advising on abuse of dominance cases and restrictive agreements"
Chambers Europe, France, Competition/European Law, 2018