David Tayar has extensive experience in handling first and second stage complex merger control investigations before both European and French antitrust agencies and in coordinating multijurisdictional filings. He regularly advises clients in restrictive arrangements and monopolization cases before European and French competition authorities and courts.
David is a Member of the Board of the Association des Avocats Pratiquant le Droit de la Concurrence.
- Prior to joining Clifford Chance, David advised clients on a wide range of matters, including merger control, horizontal and vertical agreements, abuse of dominance cases, state aid issues and antitrust litigation matters
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Université PARIS X (Nanterre) (Masters in Business Law and Anglo-American Law) 1995
- London School of Economics and Political Science (LL.M, European Community Law) 1996
- Université PARIS I (Panthéon Sorbonne) (Postgraduate in Private Law, DEA) 1997
- Admitted as an avocat in Paris 1999
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2017
Awards and citations
- David Tayar is lauded by one pleased client for being "extremely knowledgeable and good for business." He has extensive expertise in complicated merger control filings, particularly cases involving multi-jurisdictional mergers and acquisitions. Sources also report him to be "absolutely excellent."
Chambers Europe 2021, Competition/European Law - France
- Thomas Baudesson and David Tayar are the main points of contact for the practice.
Chambers Europe 2020, Pharma/Life Sciences - France
- David Tayar enters the top band following an excellent feedback from market sources. He handles a range of merger control and antitrust proceedings before the competition authorities. Clients report him to be "very smart and pragmatic," with one source also adding that "his strengths are his technical and interpersonal abilities."
Chambers Europe 2020, Competition/European Law - France
- "Market access, pricing policies, competition, public procurements, intellectual property, compliance and corporate matters all fall within the expertise of Clifford Chance's cross-disciplinary offering. Reinforced by the arrival of antitrust expert David Tayar from Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP, the team recently advised on the breakup of a joint venture between two leading global pharmaceutical players for the distribution of over-the-counter products; Tayar is also representing Teva in an investigation by the European Commission regarding a patent settlement with Cephalon. Thomas Baudesson and senior associate Gaëlle Merlier teamed up to defend a major pharmaceutical company against a series of product liability claims, including criminal charges. On the corporate front, Laurent Schoenstein assisted Synlab Labco with its acquisition of Seldaix, while regulatory expert Olivier Gaillard continues to advise on new anti-gift and transparency regulations. Other key clients include Pfizer, GSK and Novo Nordisk."
Legal 500 EMEA 2019, Industry Focus: Healthcare and Life Sciences - France
- "Clifford Chance's antitrust practice combines national and European expertise to cover the full gamut of competition matters through the experience of Katrin Schallenberg and David Tayar. The pair jointly head the practice, supported by of counsel Michel Petite. As well as overseeing Europcar's acquisition of Goldcar, the group recently handled Axel Springer's sale of 78.4% of the Aufeminin group to TF1. Schallenberg is currently representing Arkema in a claim against Honeywell on the grounds of European competition law, seeking a worldwide licence to use one of its products; Tayar is assisting Carrefour with its strategic alliance with Tesco covering the joint purchase of own-brand products and the negotiation of services with large international suppliers. Senior associate Emily Xueref-Poviac is also a key contact and is part of the team advising Oracle on a very recent FCA investigation."
Legal 500 EMEA 2019, EU Competition & Distribution - France
- David Tayar acts for clients from the retail, IT and pharmaceutical spaces on a variety of French and European competition law issues. He demonstrates particular experience in merger clearances, state aid cases and antitrust investigations. Clients regard him as "a true business partner: very smart, sharp, responsive and practical."
Chambers Europe 2019, Competition/European Law - France
- "Clifford Chance managed to balance the departure of former practice head Patrick Hubert and three of his associates to Orrick Rambaud Martel with the arrival of the ‘exceptional’ David Tayar, who ‘stands well above the rest of the pack’ and joined from Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP; additionally, Katrin Schallenberg was promoted to the partnership. Along with numerous high-value merger control cases in the pharmaceutical and car rental sectors, the group is representing clients such as Teva, Ingram Micro and Volkswagen in antitrust investigations. Of counsel Michel Petite successfully obtained clearance with remedies in phase two proceedings before the European Commission on behalf of Airbus Safran Launchers with regards to its acquisition of Arianespace and Marie Pacaux is also a key contact."
Legal 500 EMEA 2018, EU Competition & Distribution - France
- "Interviewees recognise David Tayar as a "very talented partner" who has a significant track record in merger control mandates, often handling sizeable merger control investigations and filings at domestic and European levels. He also boasts experience of advising on abuse of dominance cases and restrictive agreements"
Chambers Europe 2018, Competition/European Law - France