Cedric Burford has a particular expertise in debt and equity-linked bond issues, debt issuance programmes, commercial paper, structured debt issues (index-linked, credit-linked) and tax-driven finance structures.
Cedric also focuses on French and other European markets, as well as US transactions, acting for major investment banks and issuers.
Clifford Chance has advised Groupe VYV on its €500 million inaugural bond issue
17 July 2019
Clifford Chance a conseillé SMCP dans le cadre de la poursuite de l’optimisation de sa structure financière et de son désendettement
27 June 2019
Clifford Chance conseille SMCP dans le cadre de l'acquisition envisagée du groupe De Fursac
26 June 2019
Clifford Chance advises Carrefour on the implementation of the first CSR-linked credit transaction in the European retail sector for €3.9 billion
19 June 2019
Clifford Chance advises VINCI on the issue of its inaugural US$ 1 billion bond
12 April 2019
Growing the Green Economy: Addressing the Sustainability Challenges and Opportunities
31 July 2019
The Prospectus Regulation and Debt Prospectuses: A PD3 Primer - Levels 1, 2 and 3 (and other measures)
26 June 2019
Greening the Financial System
8 November 2017
PD3 – Prospectus Regulation (EU) 2017/1129 - Summary chart of key features
5 July 2017
'Make our planet great again' - Green, Social and Sustainability Bonds
23 June 2017
Career and qualifications
- Exeter College, Oxford (Modern Languages French and Linguistics, BA MA Honours) 1988
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1995
- Joined Clifford Chance London 1995
- Joined Clifford Chance Paris 2001
- Partner since 2003
Awards and citations
- "Clifford Chance provides French, US and English law expertise, acting for French and international banks as well as for issuers, including corporates, financial institutions and public sector clients such as municipalities. Alex Bafi, Cédric Burford and Jonathan Lewis are the names to note, with counsel Auriane Bijon and newly promoted counsel Olivier Plessis providing key support. Recent highlights include advising the banks, including BNP Paribas, Société Générale and UniCredit Bank, on Sanofi's €8bn bond issuance, assisting Unibail-Rodamco with its €2bn dual tranche hybrid bond issuance and advising the government of the Sultanate of Oman on the English and US law issues regarding its potential Rule 144A offering of debt securities and simultaneous sukuk offering. Natixis instructed the group to assist with Foncière de Région's cash tender offer on existing bonds and new issue of bonds. Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank, Morgan Stanley and Carrefour also count among the team's clients."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Capital Markets: Debt, 2019
- UK-qualified Cedric Burford remains a leading practitioner in the capital markets sector. He advises underwriters and corporate clients on bond issuances and EMTN programmes. Clients praise his negotiation skills and say that "he is a deal maker." Burford speaks English, French and German.
Chambers Europe, France, Capital Markets: Debt, 2019
Chambers Global, France, Capital Markets: Debt, 2019
- "Clifford Chance advises banks, multinationals and public entities on the full spectrum of debt instruments. Cédric Burford and Alex Bafi lead the department, and are supported by Auriane Bijon, who made counsel in 2017. Highlights included acting for the government of the Sultanate of Oman on a $1.5bn 144A offering in debt securities underwritten by Citigroup, J. P. Morgan, Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, the National Bank of Abu Dhabi and Natixis, and advising Crédit Agricole Corporate & Investment Bank on cash tender offers and consent solicitation by Crédit Agricole and Crédit Agricole Home Loan SFH regarding subordinated and covered bonds totalling €4.3bn. Other recent work includes advising Transdev Group on its first Schuldschein issuance and acting for the Caisse d’Amortissement de la Dette Sociale on the issuance of $2.5bn notes underwritten by Barclays, BNP Paribas, Crédit Agricole Corporate & Investment Bank and HSBC, which involved high-value placements in the US and advising on US securities law. Accor Hotels, Carrefour and Unibail Rodamco are also clients."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Capital Markets: Debt, 2018
- "Cedric Burford is dual-qualified in French and English law and is additionally well versed in US transactions. He has notable expertise in debt issuance programmes and frequently acts for leading multinationals or French financial institutions."
Chambers Europe, France, Capital Markets, 2018
Chambers Global, France, Capital Markets, 2018
- "Clifford Chance ‘always provides the right advice’. The ‘responsive’ 15-lawyer team advises banks and issuers on large, complex DCM mandates domestically and internationally, notably including corporate and public sector bond issuances, as well as complex hybrid bonds and emerging markets transactions. It assisted Credit Suisse and Morgan Stanley with Solvay’s triple-tranche issuance, comprising €1bn bonds, $1.6bn of Rule 144A bonds and €2.25bn of senior bonds. The team is led by US-qualified attorney Alex Bafi and Cédric Burford, who provides ‘prompt and smart responses."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Capital Markets: Debt, 2017
- Sources are "very impressed" by Cedric Burford, who remains a key player in DCM. One client notes: "Cedric worked on a big deal and he grasped all the complexities. He has strong technical expertise and he's nice to work with." He is dual-qualified in French and UK law, and was recently involved in advising Société Générale on a EUR650 million bond issuance by Iliad.
Chambers Global, France, Capital Markets, 2017
Chambers Europe, France, Capital Markets, 2017
- Experienced in both French and English law, Cedric Burford is a leader on the European bond market. Clients note his deep knowledge of the AMF regulatory scheme as a clear advantage.
Chambers Europe, France, Capital Markets, 2016
- "Clifford Chance shows ‘impressive industry knowledge, in particular as to market developments’. The 11-lawyer practice has full-service expertise and represents leading corporate issuers and underwriters. Recent work includes various complex matters, such as hybrid and high-yield bond issuances, US and China issuances, US and Eurobond sovereign issuances and public sector issuances. Highlights included advising Volvo Treasury AB on its dual-tranche €1.5bn hybrid bond issuance listed on the Luxembourg Stock Exchange and acting for the banks on the Republic of Gabon’s Rule 144A $500m offering. The practice is headed by Cédric Burford and US-qualified lawyer Alex Bafi".
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Capital markets: Debt, 2016
- Experienced in both English and French law, Cedric Burford is a leader on the European bond market. Clients note his deep knowledge of the AMF regulatory scheme as a clear advantage.
Chambers Global, France, Capital Markets, 2016
- French and European markets benefit from UK-qualified Cédric Burford's insight on debt transactions. He "is solution-driven and pragmatic" enthuses one client, while another highlights his "active involvement in the transaction and in-depth knowledge."
Chambers Global, France, Capital Markets, 2015
- Clients speak highly of Cédric Burford: "He's the person I go to in Paris: he's approachable, knowledgeable and a safe pair of hands. He's good to discuss issues with, even when not on a transaction."
Chambers Europe, Capital Markets: Debt, 2014
- "Clifford Chance, which advises banks and issuers, notably acted for HSBC on EDF’s €2.5bn and £1.25bn dual-tranche hybrid bond issuance. Cédric Burford heads the nine-lawyer team, which has also recently advised on inaugural issuances and on the inclusion of renminbi currency provisions in EMTN programmes."
Legal 500, Capital Markets, 2014
- Cédric Burford has been particularly active in debt capital markets work of late. He recently advised BNP Paribas on Valeo's issue of EUR500 million notes and a tender offer. He gains a wealth of positive feedback, with one source saying: "He is incredibly knowledgeable, pleasant to work with, and always finds the right solution. A real hands-on partner".
Chambers Europe, Capital Markets, 2013
- "DCM expert Cédric Burford runs a successful practice which has recently advised on numerous bond issuances, and has been assisting the European Financial Stability Facility on its EUR241bn debt issuance program and subsequent issuances. The Firm also advises on ECM and international employee share schemes".
Legal 500, Capital Markets, 2013
- Cédric Burford has been particularly active in debt capital markets work of late. He recently advised BNP Paribas on Valeo's issue of EUR500 million notes and a tender offer. He gains a wealth of positive feedback, with one source saying "he is incredibly knowledgeable, pleasant to work with, and always finds the right solution. A real hands-on partner".
Chambers Global, Capital Markets, France, 2013
- Cédric Burford receives a great deal of positive feedback for his capital markets expertise. Clients describe him as "precise, efficient and a pleasure to work with." He is also UK-qualified and credited with excellent language skills.
Chambers Global, Capital Markets, France, 2012