Miguel Odriozola is the Head of the Clifford Chance Antitrust team in Spain. He is a member of the Bar Associations of both Madrid and New York. From 1993 to 1999 he worked as a competition lawyer in Brussels. Since 2000 he is based in Madrid but splits his time between Madrid and Brussels.
Miguel is a frequent speaker at courses and seminars on EU and Spanish competition law. He has also authored several competition law publications and he is the editor and co-author of the first treatise on the Spanish competition Act and its Regulation. He advises Spanish and international companies on all aspects of Competition Law, both in relation to the Spanish and the EU context. He has extensive experience in matters regarding restrictive practices and merger control operations in the energy, aviation, telecommunications, consumer goods and information technology sectors.
- Telefónica before the European Commission and the CNMC on its acquisition of Digital Plus from Prisa. This high profile merger was cleared in second phase with conditions in April 2015
- Antena 3 before the European Commission and the CNC on its merger with La Sexta. This is the first and only merger approved by the Council of Ministers in the third phase of the proceedings under the 2007 Competition Law Act
- Iberia before the European Commission in relation to:
- Its transatlantic alliance with American Airlines and British Airways in the first international transatlantic airline alliance case to be decided by the European Commission and the DOT simultaneously
- Its merger with British Airways cleared in 13 jurisdictions including the EU and US in July 2010. This was the first time the Commission cleared a major airline merger in the first phase without commitments
News and client work
Global M&A Toolkit
Career and qualifications
- Admitted as an abogado in Madrid 1991
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 1993
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton NY and Brussels 1993
- Joined Clifford Chance 1999
- Head of the Clifford Chance Competition and EU Law Department in Spain since 2000
- Partner since 2004
Awards and citations
- Peers identify Miguel Odriozola as "one of the best competition lawyers in Spain," while clients note: "You get the sense that he is well liked by his opponents, which helps a lot." "He combines a solid legal knowledge with an excellent pragmatic and commercial approach," states another interviewee. Odriozola has a wealth of experience advising on merger control mandates across the telecommunications, aviation and IT industries
Chambers Europe 2018: Spain, Competition/European Law
- Miguel Odriozola enjoys a stellar reputation for his work representing high-profile clients from a variety of sectors in competition matters such as merger control operations. Sources praise his team management style and the way that he listens to the client, with comments about him including: "He's very smart in the sense that he can see nuances that others can miss." Another source adds: "He's very practical and he has a perfect vision of the market – he's out of the ordinary."
Chambers 2017: Spain, Competition/European Law (Band 1)
- The "magnificent" Miguel Odriozola heads the highly rated practice.
Legal 500 2017: EU and Competition (Band 1)
- Clients appreciate that Miguel Odriozola "really understands what we want and tries to go beyond what we would expect to find a solution." "He always provides a wider EU view of the market that is extremely interesting," reports one interviewee, whilst another adds that "he makes a great effort to keep up to date with developments." Odriozola leads all of the Madrid team's complex merger control and behavioural competition law mandates.
Chambers 2016: Spain, Competition/European Law (Band 1)
- Department head Miguel Odriozola is highlighted by clients for his ability to "provide original, creative advice and really think outside the box." He has a wealth of experience in merger control and restrictive practices across the energy, telecommunications and IT sectors.
Chambers 2015: Spain, Competition/European Law (Band 1)