Viola Lui has wide-ranging experience advising on private investment funds, private wealth and financial regulations.
Viola has extensive experience establishing private investment funds; advising on fund structuring and legal and regulatory aspects. She also acts for investors on their investments in funds and separate accounts.
Viola frequently advises on the establishment and ongoing operation of banks (including licensing applications, customer documentation, policies, booking models, ongoing conduct and revocation of bank licences) and the regulatory aspects in connection with the acquisition, disposal and/or restructuring of private banking businesses. She also advises fund/asset managers and financial institutions on securities regulations.
- General Electric on the establishment of a joint venture energy infrastructure investment platform with the Silk Road Fund
- DVB Bank and Fontainburg on the establishment of joint venture and offshore private equity fund which focuses on the aviation sector
- Aspex on the establishment of the Aspex Global Fund
- Hel Ved on the establishment of the Hel Ved Fund
- Barclays on the regulatory aspects of the disposal of its private banking business in Asia
- DBS on the regulatory aspects of the acquisition of the private banking business from Société Générale
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Toronto (Juris Doctor) 2004
- Joined Clifford Chance 2005
- Admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong 2007
- Admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales 2010
- Partner since May 2020
Awards and citations
- Recommended lawyer by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019: Hong Kong – Investment Funds