Jonathan ("JD") Wong represents financial institutions, large corporations and private equity firms on significant regulatory enforcement matters, litigation and arbitration, with a focus on international and Greater China matters.
JD's sector expertise covers banking and fintech, funds and investment management, insurance, retail and life sciences. His regulatory defence work notably includes representing clients in matters involving securities, banking, listing, competition, insurance, AML and privacy regulators; he also regularly advises clients on related regulatory compliance.
He is commercial, results-oriented, and focused on efficiency and addressing clients' needs.
- Recent arbitration experience includes representing an international retail conglomerate in an RMB1bn HKIAC arbitration, a global bank on a ~US$130m HKIAC arbitration, an Asian financial investor in French arbitration and a multinational conglomerate on a strategically significant, high-value SIAC arbitration.
- Current litigation cases notably include acting for a major Asian bank in a strategically important litigation where claims exceed US$500m, a Chinese bank in a US$50m-plus dispute, a European bank on a US$120m-plus litigation matter, and another European bank on a US$40m-plus litigation matter.
- Acting for Hong Kong listed companies and their directors in regulatory investigations and enforcement matters.
- Advising various international banks and Asian financial institutions on a wide range of regulatory investigations and enforcement action, including in relation to sponsor conduct, Code and other related regulatory breaches, market misconduct, improper trading activity, misselling, disclosure issues and unlicensed activity and selling practices.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- London School of Economics and Political Science (LLB) 2005
- National University of Singapore (Graduate Diploma in Singapore Law) 2006
- Admitted as an advocate and solicitor in Singapore 2007
- City University of Hong Kong (PCLL) 2008
- Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, Hong Kong 2008
- Admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong 2010
- Joined Clifford Chance 2021
Awards and citations
- Rising Star Partner
IFLR 1000 – Hong Kong Financial Services Regulatory – 2023