Francis Edwards is the head of our Derivatives and Structured Finance Practice in Greater China and a market leading derivatives and structured finance specialist.
Francis specialises in all forms of derivatives, financial market products and structured finance, including repackagings, credit derivatives, equity derivatives and other OTC derivatives, structured products, securities lending and repos, as well as netting, collateral, clearing, custody and credit risk management issues. His focus is on complex transactional matters and innovative market developments in Asia Pacific.
Francis also regularly advises on Hong Kong regulatory matters and on issues arising from the global OTC derivatives regulatory reforms. Francis is a regular speaker on derivatives and regulatory matters, including for ISDA and other trade associations.
- advising Standard Chartered Bank on the Prunelli trade finance CLO involving the securitisation of trade finance assets throughout APAC and the UK which won the IFLR Securitisation of the Year award.
- advising on structured finance and securitisation transactions, including financial institutions and financial investors in respect of corporate loans, consumer loans, trade finance and trade receivables, insurance premium financing, and asset leasing.
- advising on a full range of structured capital markets and structured finance transactions involving the transfer of risk relating to loans and loan portfolios, involving orphan SPVs, off-balance sheet transactions, funded and unfunded participations, and synthetic risk transfer.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Joined Clifford Chance 2000
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2002
- Admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong 2010
- Partner since 2012
Awards and citations
- Highly regarded
IFLR1000 – Hong Kong Capital Markets: Structured finance and securitisation - 2023
- “Francis Edwards is technically strong, knows the market and has outstanding client skills.”
Structured Finance and Securitisation, Legal 500, Hong Kong 2022
- Clifford Chance awarded 'Global Law Firm of the Year – Overall' at the GlobalCapital Global Derivatives Awards 2021
- "Francis Edwards in particular is detailed and precise"
Capital Markets: Derivatives & Structured Products (International Firms) China - Chambers Asia Pacific 2018
- Leading Individuals
Regulatory Hong Kong - Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017
- Leading Individuals
Structured finance and Securitisation Hong Kong - Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017
- "Francis Edwards is praised for his solid technical skills and working knowledge of regulatory developments." "…“friendly, thoughtful and articulate,” according to interviewees."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2013
- "Francis Edwards is commended for his "deep understanding of derivatives products" and "great work ethic.""
Chambers Asia Pacific 2012