Francis Edwards is the head of our Derivatives and Structured Finance Practice in Greater China and a market leading derivatives and structured finance specialist.
Francis specialises in all forms of derivatives, financial market products and structured finance, including repackagings, credit derivatives, equity derivatives and other OTC derivatives, structured products, securities lending and repos, as well as netting, collateral, clearing, custody and credit risk management issues. His focus is on complex transactional matters and innovative market developments in Asia Pacific.
Francis also regularly advises on Hong Kong regulatory matters and on issues arising from the global OTC derivatives regulatory reforms. Francis is a regular speaker on derivatives and regulatory matters, including for ISDA and other trade associations.
20 June 2019
Shanghai-London Stock Connect: What do Chinese companies need to consider?
19 June 2019
IBOR fallbacks for derivatives – ISDA's supplemental consultation on term and spread adjustments for floating rates and its consultation on pre-cessation issues
13 June 2019
The EU Securitisation Regulation - Considerations for Asia Pacific Issuers, Originators, Sponsors and their Advisers
7 March 2019
OIS and RFR Futures Conventions: Lessons for LIBOR replacement term rates
26 October 2018
Career and qualifications
- Joined Clifford Chance 2000
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2002
- Admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong 2010
- Partner since 2012
Awards and citations
- "Francis Edwards in particular is detailed and precise"
Capital Markets: Derivatives & Structured Products (International Firms) China - Chambers Asia Pacific 2018
- Leading Individuals
Regulatory Hong Kong - Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017
- Leading Individuals
Structured finance and Securitisation Hong Kong - Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017
- "Francis Edwards is praised for his solid technical skills and working knowledge of regulatory developments." "…“friendly, thoughtful and articulate,” according to interviewees."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2013
- "Francis Edwards is commended for his "deep understanding of derivatives products" and "great work ethic.""
Chambers Asia Pacific 2012