Cameron Hassall is a dispute resolution partner and the Head of International Arbitration for Greater China.
Maintaining a practice in both Greater China and Sydney, Cameron specialises in energy & infrastructure, corporate M&A, private equity, aviation and banking disputes. Cameron's arbitration experience as counsel and / or arbitrator includes arbitrations under the AAA, CIETAC, HKIAC, ICC, LCIA, SCC, SIAC and UNCITRAL Rules.
- Private equity: Representing a private equity firm in connection with a USD 300m dispute arising out of its acquisition of a majority share in a Chinese food chain. The Claimants seek rescission of the agreements, alternatively damages, in connection with their fraudulent inducement into the acquisition through misrepresentations and the manipulation of the target group books and records. Two CIETAC arbitrations, worldwide freezing injunction and asset preservation orders in Hong Kong and a freezing injunction and disclosure orders in Singapore.
- Financial institution: Representing a global bank in two SIAC arbitration proceedings in connection with a significant fraud by which it was induced invest in an Indian technology company and its Dubai-based subsidiary. The dispute involved one of the first applications to obtain emergency relief, including worldwide Mareva relief, under the SIAC emergency arbitrator provisions.
- Energy: Representing a solar company on a USD 190 million dispute arising out of a joint venture established in the Malaysia for the business of producing and developing solar modules for shareholder use in solar cells. Dispute involves various anti-trust, breach of trade secret and breach of confidentiality allegations and claims on the part of both shareholders to forced purchase of shares. ICC arbitration, San Francisco seat, Californian governing law.
- Construction: sitting as sole arbitrator in an ICC arbitration seated in Singapore, applying Indian law. The arbitration disputes relate to alleged defects, delays and failure to pay in connection with the construction of an iron ore pellet plant in India by a PRC main contractor.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Admitted as a solicitor in New South Wales 1998
- Joined Clifford Chance 2003
- Admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong 2005
- Partner since 2010
- Head of International Arbitration for Greater China
- Committee member – ICC Hong Kong
- Immediate past chairman – Hong Kong ICC arbitrator nomination sub-committee
- HKIAC Proceedings Committee Member
Awards and citations
- Leading Individual
Legal 500 – Arbitration
- Cameron Hassall is a member of the Legal 500 Asia Pacific Hall of Fame
- Band 1 Individual
Cameron Hassall is "superb: an extremely talented lawyer and a persuasive advocate," enthuses one source. He heads the practice and offers clients long-standing experience in handling cross-border commercial arbitrations, often in the context of M&A, private equity and joint venture disputes."His merits are that he's very experienced, ferocious and daring, which is a good thing in the arbitration courts," notes another interviewee.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020, Dispute Resolution: Arbitration (International Firms) – China
- Band 1 Individual
Cameron Hassall heads the firm's arbitration practice in Greater China and provides clients with the benefit of deep experience in cross-border commercial arbitrations. Sources appreciate his ability to stay calm under pressure, with one saying: "Cameron leads a fantastic team. He is very good at managing complex cases and difficult situations. He is doing a phenomenal job."
Chambers Global 2019, Dispute Resolution: Arbitration (International Firms) – China
- Band 5 Individual
Cameron Hassall operates a robust commercial arbitration practice. Based in Hong Kong and head of the firm's Greater China practice, he is held in high esteem for his excellent experience handling arbitration proceedings in the Asia-Pacific region. His expertise spans banking, energy and aviation disputes.
Chambers Global 2019, Arbitration (International) – Global-wide
- Practice head Cameron Hassall is ‘an excellent strategist – he is calm, hands-on and gives succinct and practical responses’
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018
- Clients appreciate that he is "hugely approachable for a very senior partner" and value his "very commercial, pragmatic" approach. He has a broad practice with focus on commercial arbitrations, including those arising in the investment, financial services, aviation, solar power and natural resources industries. Sources add that he is "well prepared, organised and impressive" as an advocate.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2018