Richard Gordon specialises in financing transactions, including leveraged acquisitions, project and infrastructure transactions, corporate lending and restructurings, acting for both lenders and borrowers.
Before joining Clifford Chance, Richard was a Partner and the head of the banking & financial services sector at a leading Australian firm.
- The lenders on the Transurban consortium’s successful bid to acquire 51% of Sydney Motorway Corporation, the company delivering the WestConnex toll road network in New South Wales
- The lenders to the successful bidding consortium on the privatisation of the Endeavour Energy electricity distribution assets in NSW and its subsequent refinancing efforts
- The lead arrangers on their financing of Blackstone's acquisition of the Orica Chemicals business
- The lead arrangers and underwriters on their financing of the East West Link project in Victoria
- The lenders to Queensland Motorways on its acquisition of the Clem7 Motorway from receivership and then QIC on all financing aspects of its sale of Queensland Motorways, including the offer of stapled financing
- Archer Capital on all debt financing aspects of its acquisition and subsequent divestment of MYOB
- The financiers on various Term Loan B financing transactions for a number of Pacific Equity Partners’ portfolio businesses, including Spotless and Hoyts
- The financiers of the original acquisition of Alinta Energy, its subsequent restructure and refinance
- The lenders to Qantas under its syndicated corporate debt facility
- The lenders to Ramsay Health Care on its syndicated debt facilities
- The lead arrangers on their committed financing of an international sponsor’s bid for the Inghams Chickens business
- The lead arrangers and underwriters on their financing of Providence Equity Partners’ acquisition of the Study Group
- The successful consortium (including Global Infrastructure Partners, QIC, IFM and others) on the financing aspects of its acquisition of Port of Brisbane and other consortia on their bids for Port Botany and Port Kembla, Port of Newcastle, Sydney Desalination Plant, Sydney’s Royal North Shore Hospital and Cross City Tunnel
- Various bank groups and bond arrangers on their respective financings of a number of Australia’s largest infrastructure assets (including Sydney, Perth and Brisbane Airports), tollroads (including Brisbane’s BrisConnections and Melbourne’s EastLink) and railways (including Brookfield Rail and Adelaide to Darwin Railway)
- Numerous other lenders, corporates and sponsors over the years (including Wesfarmers on the financing aspects of its acquisition of Coles)
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Brunel University (LLB) 1994
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1997
- Admitted as a solicitor in New South Wales, Australia 2012
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2015
Awards and citations
- A client noted "He has a wealth of experience. He is well regarded by lenders and by sponsors so he has a very high degree of credibility, which makes him very flexible in regards to which side of the fence he's operating on."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020
- ‘Richard Gordon is a solid negotiator and is great at focusing attention on important matters and reaching compromises on lower order issues.‘
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020
- Band 2 Individual
"He has a wealth of experience. He is well regarded by lenders and by sponsors so he has a very high degree of credibility, which makes him very flexible in regards to which side of the fence he's operating on." The client goes on to add: "He sees both sides – he's not a point-scorer, he's there to find a result that's best for everyone."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020, Project Finance – Australia
- Band 2 Individual
He is recognised for his acquisition finance expertise and is described by one admiring source as an "extremely seasoned operator" who has "been around a long time and is well connected locally."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020, Banking & Finance: Acquisition Finance – Australia
- Richard Gordon's practice encompasses acquisition finance, project finance and general banking work. He is described as "a trusted advisor" and is "well-respected in the market"