Richard Gordon specialises in financing transactions, including leveraged acquisitions, project and infrastructure transactions, corporate lending and restructurings, acting for both lenders and borrowers.
Before joining Clifford Chance, Richard was a Partner and the head of the banking & financial services sector at a leading Australian firm.
- the financing of Global Infrastructure Partners' bid to acquire a minority stake in the Shell-operated QCLNG infrastructure business
- the financing of IOOF's A$1.4 billion acquisition of National Australia Bank's MLC wealth management and financial advice business
- the financing aspects of Permira-sponsored I-MED Radiology's acquisition of Alfred Medical Imaging business
- the financing of Anchorage Capital's acquisition of CF Asia Pacific's rail haulage business
- the multi-layered financing in connection with the successful Transurban and international sponsor consortium’s A$9.3 billion acquisition of a majority interest in the WestConnex tollroad business
- the A$1.7 billion financing of EG Group’s acquisition of Woolworths’ petrol stations business in Australia
- the financing of Nippon Paint’s A$3.8 billion offer to acquire Dulux Group’s Australian business
- the financing to the successful MIRA-led consortium on the A$1.6 billion privatisation of the South Australian land titles registry and the subsequent multi-sourced refinancing
- the financing to the successful MIRA-led consortium on the A$1.4 billion acquisition of the WA Landgate registry business
- the financing of Five V Capital’s acquisition of Zenith Investment Partners
- the refinancing of Anchorage Capital’s Affinity Education childcare business
- financing to the successful MIRA-led consortium on the part-privatisation of the Endeavour Energy electricity distribution business in New South Wales and the subsequent multi-sourced refinancing
- the unitranche financing of Anchorage Capital’s acquisition of Southern Cross Laundries
- Tamar and JIC on their leveraged financing to acquire the Nature’s Care health business
- the financing of Palisade’s successful bid for the Sunshine Coast Airport existing and expansion runway business in Queensland
- the lenders and USPP investors on the refinancing of EastLink by ConnectEast
- the financing of the acquisition of Glencore’s GRail rail haulage business in Australia
- the lead arrangers of a Term Loan B financing for Iron Mountain Australia, Australia’s first all Australian dollar Term Loan B, governed by Australian law (Shortlisted for Debt Market Deal of Year / International Deal of Year – Australasian Law Awards 2017)
- Health & Happiness (formerly Biostime International) (listed in Hong Kong) on its bridge to bond financing for the acquisition of the Swisse minority and bank/bond combination refinancing
- numerous other lenders, corporates and sponsors over the years (including Wesfarmers on the $10bn financing of its acquisition of Coles)
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Brunel University (LLB) 1994
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1997
- Admitted as a solicitor in New South Wales, Australia 2012
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2015
Awards and citations
- A client noted "He has a wealth of experience. He is well regarded by lenders and by sponsors so he has a very high degree of credibility, which makes him very flexible in regards to which side of the fence he's operating on."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020
- ‘Richard Gordon is a solid negotiator and is great at focusing attention on important matters and reaching compromises on lower order issues.‘
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020
- Band 2 Individual
"He has a wealth of experience. He is well regarded by lenders and by sponsors so he has a very high degree of credibility, which makes him very flexible in regards to which side of the fence he's operating on." The client goes on to add: "He sees both sides – he's not a point-scorer, he's there to find a result that's best for everyone."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020, Project Finance – Australia
- Band 2 Individual
He is recognised for his acquisition finance expertise and is described by one admiring source as an "extremely seasoned operator" who has "been around a long time and is well connected locally."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020, Banking & Finance: Acquisition Finance – Australia
- Richard Gordon's practice encompasses acquisition finance, project finance and general banking work. He is described as "a trusted advisor" and is "well-respected in the market"