Evert Verwey is Counsel in the Amsterdam Litigation practice and part of the Restructuring and Insolvency team of Clifford Chance Amsterdam. He specializes in insolvency-related matters, contentious restructuring and work-out scenarios. He is active in general banking and finance litigation with a focus on security rights, directors’ liability and lender liability issues. Evert advises banks, financial institutions, and larger companies (and their (supervisory) directors). He also litigates for this group of clients in these areas of law.
Evert used to be a court appointed bankruptcy receiver and has several positions in industry bodies (such as INSOL Europe).
News and client work
- Author of "Bestuurdersaansprakelijkheid en cash pooling", published in TOP, d.d. 28 September 2021
- Author of "Aanvraag van surseance en opzegging van bezwarende huurovereenkomst geen misbruik van bevoegdheid", published in Jurispudentie Onderneming & Recht 14 May 2020
- ‘Financing in distress against security from an English, German and Dutch perspective: a walk in the park or in a mine field?’ (International Insolvency Law Review, 2011)
- ‘Verslag van INSOL Europe Annual Congress 2012’, (TvI, 1/2011).
- ‘New Dutch bankruptcy legislation ... Finally!’, in Eurofenix Spring Edition 2014.
- ‘New Dutch bankruptcy legislation; Part II’, in Eurofenix Summer 2014.
Career and qualifications
- Erasmus University of Rotterdam (Law) 2007
- Admitted as an advocaat to the Dutch Bar 2008
- Grotius/Insolad Specialisatieopleiding Insolventierecht (Post-graduate education for Dutch insolvency specialists) 2014
- Joined Clifford Chance 2015
- Member of INSOLAD (Association of Dutch Insolvency Specialists)
- Member of Insol Europe (European association of insolvency specialists)