Ada Schmitt is a Counsel in the Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice of Clifford Chance's Luxembourg office. She handles both domestic and cross-border litigation and arbitration cases, ranging from contractual, tort, commercial or banking litigation to post-M&A, insolvency-related and enforcement disputes.
Ada represents corporate, banking and financial investor clients, including investment funds and asset managers.
She also leads on Regulatory Investigations and Financial Crime ("RIFC")-related work, assisting clients on investigations (internal and external) and with regulatory enforcement instances.
Ada is a member of the Diversity Working Group of the Luxembourg Bankers’ Association (ABBL).
- Representing a sovereign wealth fund and its affiliates in liability claims brought against a former corporate officer in connection with an international fraud, embezzlement and money-laundering scandal.
- Representing an investment holding company in representations & warranties and indemnity claims disputes postdating the acquisition of several major financial institutions.
- Representing a corporate client in disputes post-dating its acquisition of an investment funds management company.
- Representing a fund, its general partner and its investment advisor in a dispute with an investor in a particular sub-fund.
- Representing a depository bank in liability proceedings brought by alleged investors in a Luxembourg investment fund.
- Representing a private equity fund in Luxembourg bankruptcy-related proceedings.
- Advising an AIFM and management company in the context of regulatory investigations and enforcement action for alleged professional deficiencies.
- Advising a client in relation to an attachment of bank accounts, the regulatory freezing of assets (based on AML/CTF-related suspicions) and liability claims in the Luxembourg courts.
- Advising a corporate client on potential embargo and export control violations.
- Advising banks in connection with clients under either international sanctions or investigation by the authorities.
- Advising a residential property developer and real estate investment group in connection with a regulatory freezing of its assets (based on AML/CTF-related suspicions).
- Handling a large-scale forensic investigation for a corporate client to tackle potential internal misconduct.
- Handling a large-scale forensic investigation for a banking client in preparation of forthcoming litigation.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Paris II: Panthéon –Assas (Licence en droit) 2008
- University of Paris I: Panthéon-Sorbonne (Maîtrise en droit des affaires) 2010
- University of Paris II: Panthéon –Assas (Master 2 professionnel de droit des affaires et fiscalité) 2011
- Admitted as an avocat in Luxembourg 2012
- Harvard Law School (LL.M.) 2013
- Joined Clifford Chance 2013
- Admitted as an avocat à la Cour in Luxembourg 2016
- Member of E.L.S.A. (Employment Law Specialists Association)
- ABBL Diversity Working Group