Oliver Carroll advises on a broad range of contentious matters, with a focus on administrative law and antitrust litigation. Oliver also advises on international trade contingency planning, and public policy matters.
Antitrust Litigation and Investigations
- Advising a multinational corporate client in an abuse of dominance investigation by the European Commission
- Advice on injunctive relief to prohibit a withdrawal of data supply in an abuse of dominance case
Public and Administrative Law
- Advice on public law remedies for compulsory undervalue nationalisation mechanisms
- Advice to a financial services client on judicial review proceedings and a preliminary reference to the CJEU post-Brexit
- Acting for the Howard League for Penal Reform in a UK Supreme Court intervention: R (on the application of Coll) v Secretary of State for Justice  UKSC 40.
- Advising a government in the redesign of its aviation licencing regime
- Advice on third party standing and right to intervene in judicial review proceedings
- Advising a client on judicial review of national security regulation
- Defending News Group Newspapers in Various v News Group Newspapers (Mobile Telephone Voicemail Interception Litigation)
- Defending a client in a series of post-M&A breach of warranty disputes
International Trade Law
- Advising a government on WTO customs obligations, including conducting a global review of customs union structures and processes
- Advising an international corporate client on bringing a WTO claim against a government for imposition of barriers to trade
- Advising a multinational client on the application of tariff and rules of origin provisions in FTAs
- Advice on exclusion from an industry trade association pursuant to US Treasury Department sanctions
News and client work
- LexisPSL: "ECJ amplifies meaning of ‘cooperation’ for the purposes of the Hamburg exemption in public procurement contracts", June 2020
- LexisPSL: "The High Court holds ‘opaque, profane, or unsophisticated’ speech is protected under ECHR", February 2020
- Chambers and Partners: "Antitrust Litigation Global Practice Guide 2020", September 2020
- Co-author: Law Business Research Ltd: "Private Antitrust Litigation 2020, England and Wales",
Career and qualifications
- University of Oxford (MA) 2015
- Joined Clifford Chance 2016
- Seconded to Clifford Chance Paris 2017
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2018
- Admitted as a solicitor in the Republic of Ireland 2019
- Solicitor-Advocate 2021
- Member of the Constitutional and Administrative Law Bar Association
Awards and citations
- "Associate Oliver Carroll is recommended, given his experience in prominent judicial reviews."
- Key Lawyer
Legal 500: Administrative and Public Law 2022
- 'Oliver Carroll is a pleasure to deal with.'
Legal 500 2022
- 'Oliver Carroll has led our matter with little partner input and he stands out as an associate with legal insights and strategy beyond his years PQE.'
Legal 500 2022