James Koessler is a Senior Associate with over a decade of experience advising companies, investment banks and financial investors on the full spectrum of equity capital markets transactions in the UK and internationally (including initial public offerings, secondary capital raises, block trades, sponsor matters and minority investments).
He also advises on the equity capital markets aspects of public M&A transactions and restructurings, and advises listed companies on their post-listing legal and regulatory obligations.
James is member of the firm's Global Financial Markets and Tech Groups, and is aligned to the firm's ESG practice.
- Acted for underwriters on the IPO and Bucharest listing of Hidroelectrica - the largest IPO in Europe in 2023
- Acted for Pfizer on the demerger and listing of Haleon in London and New York – largest listing in London for many years and amongst the largest ever demergers in Europe
- Acted for the underwriter on the IPO of Hambro Perks Acquisition Company – the first SPAC under the new UK SPAC rules
- Acted for Clayton, Dubilier & Rice on its investment in SIG - the first major UK investment in public equity (“PIPE”) in over a decade
- Acted for the underwriters on the IPO and London premium listing of Bridgepoint
- Acted for Allegro.eu and its private equity owners, Cinven, Permira and Mid Europa, on its IPO and listing on the Warsaw Stock Exchange – the largest Polish IPO ever and second largest IPO in Europe in 2020
- Acted for the sponsors/financial advisors on the demerger of Hostmore (TGI Fridays) from Electra
- Acted for Huatai Securities on its London GDR listing and offering - the first such listing on the Shanghai-London Stock Connect segment of the London Stock Exchange – Equity Deal of the Year at the IFLR Europe Awards 2020
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Montesquieu-Bordeaux IV University (Certificate in French Law) 2011
- University of Warwick (Bachelor of Laws with French Law) 2012
- Joined Clifford Chance 2013
Awards and citations
- “exceptional”, “he has strong technical capabilities and is measured in the advice he gives” Legal 500
Key Lawyer – Legal 500