Christopher David specialises in representing both companies and individuals in white collar crime matters mainly involving allegations of fraud, bribery and corruption, insider dealing, tax evasion, cartels or money laundering. These matters predominantly involve investigations undertaken by the Serious Fraud Office (SFO), the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) or the National Crime Agency (NCA), as well as overseas agencies, such as the US Department of Justice (DOJ) and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
In addition, Christopher has considerable experience in cross-border corporate and internal investigations on behalf of multi-national corporations and major financial services clients. These investigations often involve multiple jurisdictions, as well as compliance issues and risk management. Christopher also has experience working as a member of a DOJ-appointed independent Compliance Monitorship team.
Christopher is the co-author of “A Practical Guide to INTERPOL and Red Notices” published by Bloomsbury Professional and advises individuals regarding the procedure for applying for the deletion of red notices.
Christopher is a trustee and board member of Appeal, a charity dedicated to overturning miscarriages of justice.
- Advised a Channel Islands based corporate services provider in relation to alleged money laundering offences.
- Acted for an individual who was acquitted by the Parma Criminal Court (Italy) in relation to allegations of fraudulent bankruptcy and usury following the collapse of Parmalat in 2003.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- London School of Economics and Political Science (BA International History) 1999
- BPP Law School (PGDip and BVC) 2002
- Kingsley Napley LLP 2005
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2008
- WilmerHale 2012
- Joined Clifford Chance 2021
- The Fraud Lawyers Association
Awards and citations
- Advice to Corporates, "Next Generation Partner"
Legal 500 UK 2022 – Regulatory Investigations and Corporate Crime
- "Clifford Chance as a firm don’t need me to tell you how good they are. Their reputation speaks for itself. But, by hiring Chris David to head up their London white collar practice, they have added one of the very best criminal solicitors to an already stellar litigation team."
Legal 500 UK 2022
- "Christopher David is a rarity in the Magic Circle white collar world. He’s done it all for real: police stations, high profile crown court trials for individuals and investigations for household name international companies. He’s clever, astute and pragmatic, but with an uncompromising directness that he deploys when necessary. His standing domestically and internationally grows year by year. A very smart hire by Clifford Chance."
Legal 500 UK 2022
- Ranked Individual - Band 4 "Christopher David's client care and strategic thinking is phenomenal."
Chambers & Partners UK 2022 – Financial Crime: Individuals, London (Firms)
- Advice to Corporates, "Next Generation Partner" “an excellent practitioner in the white-collar area, with extensive experience in internal investigations, transnational practice, and on the subject of arrest warrants and Interpol red notices."
Legal 500 UK 2021 – Regulatory Investigations and Corporate Crime
- Ranked Individual - Band 4 "He has an impressive ability to manage huge strategic calls without losing sight of the detail."
Chambers & Partners UK 2021 – Financial Crime: Individuals, London (Firms)
- Investigations – Future Leader
Who's Who Legal 2022