Olivier Plessis has extensive experience in US securities offerings, particularly equity and debt capital markets.
Olivier advises issuers and underwriters, including financial institutions, corporations and governmental organizations, on a variety of international securities offerings, including initial public offerings, secondary offerings, capital increases and rights offerings, as well as investment grade, sovereign and high-yield bond offerings.
Olivier has advised on transactions across the EMEA region including the recent Rule 144A IPOs of Adyen (IFLR Equity Deal of the Year, 2019), Network International (IFR EMEA IPO of the Year 2019), Arabian Centres Company (IFLR ME Equity Deal of the Year, 2019), ALD and NLB and the US debt offerings of Vinci, the Government of Oman, Solvay, Total, the Council of Europe Development Bank and Lazard.
- Adyen on its €1 billion IPO and Euronext Amsterdam listing (IFLR Equity Deal of the Year 2019)
- Citi and JP Morgan on the $1.6 billion IPO and premium London listing of Network International (IFR EMEA IPO of the Year 2019)
- Citi, Credit Suisse , Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley in connection with the $1 billion IPO of Arabian Centres (IFLR Middle East Equity IPO of the Year 2019)
- ALD and Société Générale on the €1.3 billion IPO and Euronext Paris listing of ALD, one of the largest IPOs in France in recent years
- NLB on its €670 million IPO and listing on the London and Ljubljana Stock Exchanges
- Citi on the IPO and premium London listing of ASA International
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles on its offering of approximately $1.1 billion NYSE-listed common shares and $2.875 billion of mandatory convertible securities
- Credit Suisse and Morgan Stanley on Solvay's $6.8 billion equity and Rule 144A debt offerings
- VINCI on its inaugural $1 billion Rule 144A Yankee bond offering
- The Government of Oman on its $19 billion Rule 144A offerings of notes
- TOTAL on more than $10 billion in US registered debt offerings
- The Council of Europe Development Bank on numerous debt offerings under its registered US shelf program
- Citi and Goldman Sachs in connection with the US registered offering of debt securities issued by Lazard Group
- SMCP on the refinancing of its existing high-yield notes and other outstanding debt
News and client work
- Clifford Chance, Paris
- Email me
- Save my Vcard
- Speaks English and French
- Practice area Banking & finance, Capital markets
- Sector Consumer goods & retail, Healthcare, life sciences & chemicals, Banks, Insurance, Telecommunications, media & technology, Transport & logistics, Energy & resources
Career and qualifications
- McGill Faculty of Law (LL.B/B.C.L) 2009
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Justice Rosalie S. Abella, Supreme Court of Canada 2009
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 2010
- Sullivan & Cromwell LLP, New York and Paris 2010
- Joined Clifford Chance 2015
- American Bar Association
Awards and citations
- Olivier Plessis is ranked as a "Rising Star".
IFLR1000 2020 – France
- Listed as a Rising Star
IFLR, Capital Markets (ECM) and Capital Markets (DCM), 2020
- Named as Rising Star
IFLR, Capital Markets (ECM) and Capital Markets (DCM), 2019
- "Clifford Chance is particularly active in IPOs, but also demonstrates strength in rights offerings, convertible bonds, block trades and equity derivatives. Employee shares schemes and stock option schemes are another area of focus. US securities specialist Alex Bafi and Aline Cardin, an expert in French and international securities offerings, head the practice. Jointly with regulatory specialist Frédérick Lacroix the team advised Société Générale as shareholder and ALD as issuer on ALD's €1.2bn Rule 144A IPO on the Euronext Paris, assisting with both French and US law issues. On the block trade side, recent highlights include advising Altrafin on the sale of 8.4% of Altran's share capital by way of accelerated bookbuilding. Olivier Plessis made counsel and Julien Rocherieux was promoted to partner."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Capital Markets: Equity, 2019
- "Clifford Chance provides French, US and English law expertise, acting for French and international banks as well as for issuers, including corporates, financial institutions and public sector clients such as municipalities. Alex Bafi, Cédric Burford and Jonathan Lewis are the names to note, with counsel Auriane Bijon and newly promoted counsel Olivier Plessis providing key support. Recent highlights include advising the banks, including BNP Paribas, Société Générale and UniCredit Bank, on Sanofi's €8bn bond issuance, assisting Unibail-Rodamco with its €2bn dual tranche hybrid bond issuance and advising the government of the Sultanate of Oman on the English and US law issues regarding its potential Rule 144A offering of debt securities and simultaneous sukuk offering. Natixis instructed the group to assist with Foncière de Région's cash tender offer on existing bonds and new issue of bonds. Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank, Morgan Stanley and Carrefour also count among the team's clients."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Capital Markets: Debt, 2019
- Clifford Chance handles the full range of structured finance, including securitisation, repackaging, derivatives and alternative market financing products, and possesses French, English and US law expertise. Jonathan Lewis heads the practice jointly with newly promoted partner Julien Rocherieux; Lewis assisted the European Investment Fund with multiple matters, including the provision of guarantees to the ENABLE funding programme of the British Business Bank and the provision of guarantees to securitisations in Spain, Italy, Germany, the Netherlands and the UK in the context of the European Commission and EIB Group's SME Initiative. Other work came from Elior, XPO Logistics and Crédit Foncier. Olivier Plessis made counsel.
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Derivatives, Structured Finance and Securitisation, 2019