Juan Valcárcel specialises in advising Spanish and overseas clients on M&A deals, corporate restructurings and general, day-to-day corporate matters. He has gained in-depth expertise within the (re)insurance sector, acting for insurance undertakings in bancassurance agreements, portfolio transfers, distribution and agency agreements as well as joint ventures and (re)insurance regulatory law. He has been also working for private equity firms and corporate clients in the energy and infrastructure sectors.
Before joining Clifford Chance he worked for three years in the Madrid office of an international law firm.
- Cubico Sustainable Investment Spain, S.L. on the EUR 1,500 million (EV) agreement to acquire a controlling equity stake in the Spanish company Grupo T-Solar Global, S.A. (which own a portfolio of operating solar PV (174MWp) and concentrated solar power assets (100MWp) in Spain and Italy and a large pipeline of assets at different stages of development (c.1,400MW) in the same markets) from I Squared Capital.
- Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ) on its acquisition of a 30% stake in ATC Europe which is part of a new long-term strategic partnership between American Tower and CDPQ valued at over EUR 1,600 million.
- Admiral Group plc on the c. GBP 508 million agreement to sell Penguin Portals and Preminen comparison businesses (including Rastreator) to Zoopla's Comparison Services.
- WiZink in the merger of WiZink Bank with bancassurance operator of WiZink group, WiZink Mediator.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Universidad de Valencia: Double Degree in Law and Political Sciences (awarded with extraordinary prize), 2010
- Universidad Carlos III de Madrid: Double master's degree in access to the practice of law and EU law (VI Professor Illescas award), 2015
- Admitted to the Madrid Bar Association (ICAM)
Awards and citations
- ‘Juan Valcárcel combines to his credit a high specialization in insurance and M&A, which contributes to a highly technical and precise advice. Practical when negotiating.’
Legal 500 – 2022