*Clifford Chance Asia is a Formal Law Alliance in Singapore between Clifford Chance Pte Ltd and Cavenagh Law LLP.
Vasu Muthyala represents Asia-based multinational corporations and individuals in a broad range of cross-border government investigations and regulatory enforcement matters. During his more than two-decade career he has focused his practice on allegations of securities fraud, money-laundering, violations of the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and sanctions laws.
As one of the only former U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) prosecutors and U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) enforcement lawyers in Asia, Vasu regularly advises on U.S. government enforcement efforts and priorities.
Before working with clients in Asia, Vasu spent more than a decade with the DOJ (as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Criminal Division of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia) and at the SEC. As a senior prosecutor in the Fraud and Public Corruption section of the U.S. Attorney's Office, Vasu focused on corporate and securities fraud and worked on matters with the SEC, U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority and United States Agency for International Development. Vasu was also a member of the Securities and Commodities Fraud Working Group of U.S. President Obama's Financial Fraud Enforcement Task Force, focusing on financial crimes relating to the financial crisis and economic recovery efforts. As an enforcement lawyer at the SEC, Vasu investigated and litigated cases arising under U.S. securities laws, including accounting fraud, insider trading and market manipulation.
This unique background allows Vasu to help Asia-based clients navigate complex multi-jurisdictional and U.S. regulatory and enforcement matters.
- a U.S.-based multinational technology company in an internal U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) investigation of possible foreign bribery activities stemming from its operations in India
- a U.S.-based multinational food manufacturer in an internal investigation into possible fraud and improper accounting practices out of its operations in Asia
- Representation of a multinational U.S.-based Fortune 100 company in an internal investigation of possible fraud and corruption stemming from its operations in Asia.
- Representation of compliance executives for a major international financial institution in connection with a New York Department of Financial Services investigation into the institution's Bank Secrecy Act, anti-money laundering and Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) compliance program.
- Representation of an industry-leading global entity in a Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) investigation focused in Asia.
- Representation of high-ranking executives in Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) investigations relating to conduct in India, China, Australia, Mexico and Germany.
- Representation of a major financial institution in an U.S. Securities Exchange Commission (SEC) investigation regarding Municipal Securities Rule Making Board (MSRB).
- Representation of senior government officials in U.S. congressional investigations.
- Representation of a multilateral financial institution in an investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) regarding whistleblower allegations of corruption.
- Representation of a national mortgage-servicing company in connection with an SEC investigation regarding the adequacy of disclosures in offering memoranda for residential mortgage-backed securities.
- Representation of a leading global financial services institution in an SEC investigation relating to an alternative trading system.
- Representation of a national entity in an SEC investigation regarding insider trading and the Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge Act (STOCK Act).
- Representation of a global entity in connection with the implementation of an FCPA compliance program.
- Representation of a global medical device firm in an internal investigation in India concerning whistleblower allegations of self-dealing and kickback schemes.
- Representation of a U.S. equities and trading company in an internal investigation focused on Asia into theft of confidential information and trade secrets dispute.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of California, Irvine (Bachelor of Arts) 1997
- Pepperdine University (Juris Doctorate) 2000
- State Bar of California 2000
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois 2003
- District of Columbia Bar 2008
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia 2014
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner August 2022
- Enforcement Attorney, United States Securities Enforcement Commission, 2000
- Assistant United States Attorney, Washington DC United States Attorney’s Office, Department of Justice 2003
Awards and citations
- Chambers Global, Corporate Investigations/Anti-Corruption (International Firms) – China, Band 2
- The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific, Regulatory: Anti-Corruption and Compliance (Hong Kong)
- Chambers Asia Pacific, Corporate Investigations/Anti-Corruption (International Firms) – China