Anthony Oldfield's practice focuses on international capital markets transactions involving both debt and equity issues and structured finance products, and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, including takeovers, joint ventures and venture capital transactions.
Anthony has practiced in the firm's London and Singapore offices.
Anthony's experience includes advising:
- Brazilian fintech startup Neon Pagamentos, a Brazilian fintech on its Series A, B, C and D funding rounds.
- Valid, a Brazilian information technology company, on its acquisition of Fundamenture A/S.
- A large Chinese conglomerate on its first acquisition in Latin America (a stake in a Brazilian fintech).
- Hypera S.A., Brazil’s largest pharmaceutical company with a leading position in branded prescriptions, consumer health and branded generics, on the English law aspects of its acquisition of a portfolio of over-the-counter and prescription pharmaceutical products sold in Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Colombia, Ecuador, Panama and Peru from Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited.
- A major US-based pharmaceutical corporation on its acquisition of a Chilean-based pharmaceutical corporation.
- Braskem, the largest petrochemicals producer in Latin America, on its acquisition of Sunoco Chemicals, its first acquisition in the United States.
- Petropar S.A. (now known as Évora) on its acquisition of the hygiene division of Fiberweb plc to form one of the leading hygiene nonwovens businesses in the world.
- Shell on its joint venture with Cosan to form Raízen, one of the five largest companies in Brazil and the largest producer in the world of sugar and ethanol from sugarcane.
- An Asian sovereign wealth fund on its cornerstone investment in Banco BTG Pactual as part of a participation by a consortium of sovereign wealth and private equity funds.
- Banco Bradesco S.A. on its acquisition of the HSBC operations in Brazil, the largest M&A deal in Latin America in 2015.
- Citi, Black River Asset Management and Liberty Mutual Insurance Company as shareholders of SIIF Énergies do Brasil and SIIF Desenvolvimento de Projetos de Energia Eólica on the disposal of the SIIF companies and their portfolios of wind farms to CPFL Energia.
- A major Chinese state-owned energy company on the acquisition of oil and gas assets in Colombia.
- CLAI Fund on its joint venture with China Three Gorges in relation to its successful bid at an ANEEL auction for two hydroelectric plants in Brazil, Jupiá and Ilha Solteira, in the southern state of Paraná, totalling 5GW.
- EDF Energies Nouvelles on its purchase of an 800MW wind power project portfolio from SOWITEC Group, the acquisition represented EDF EN's first in Brazil, one of the world's key renewable energy markets.
- Vale on its acquisition of Simandou iron ore assets in Guinea from BSG Resources.
- Vale on a memorandum of understanding with Fortescue Metals Group (FMG), the Australia-based iron ore mining company, to pursue long term opportunities in relation to the Chinese steel industry.
- Fitesa on its acquisition of a majority stake in spunbond nonwovens maker and its acquisition of Tredegar Corporation’s Personal Care Films business, with approximately 400 employees worldwide and manufacturing sites located in Brazil, US, NL, India and Hungary.
- Fitesa on its acquisition of Fiber Dynamics, a High Point, NC-based manufacturer of meltblown and carded nonwovens for disinfectant wipes, filtration, face masks, automotive, medical, hygiene and other industrial wipes.
- US food manufacturer Kellogg on its acquisition of Brazilian biscuit maker Parati Group, its largest acquisition to date in Latin America.
Transport & Infrastructure
- Uralkali on its acquisition of a stake in a port terminal in the city of Antonina, Brazil.
- Brazilian airline TAM on its merger with Chilean airline LAN to form one of the largest airlines in the world.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Essex (LLB Hons)
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales
- Clifford Chance, London and Singapore 1987-1993
- New York since 1993
- Partner since 1997
Awards and citations
- Anthony Oldfield provides further senior level gravitas on headline and big-ticket Brazil offerings, frequently acting for both issuers and underwriters.
Legal 500 2022 – Latin America: International firms: Capital markets – Tier 2
- Sao Paulo managing partner Anthony Oldfield has strong connections to Brazilian corporates and is a major player in Brazil M&A and fundraisings.
Legal 500 2022 – Latin America: International firms: Corporate and M&A – Tier 1
- São Paulo-based practitioner Anthony Oldfield is noted for his experience acting on corporate matters in Brazil. He leverages his experience in the field to assist international venture capital groups, holding companies and industry players with a variety of significant investments. Observers describe him as "a solution-orientated lawyer with strong negotiation skills."
Chambers USA 2022: Corporate/M&A (International Counsel) – Band 3
- Ranked as a Leading Individual
Legal 500 Latin America 2022, Corporate and M&A – International Firms
- São Paulo-based practitioner Anthony Oldfield is noted for his experience acting on corporate matters in Brazil. He leverages his experience in the field to assist international venture capital groups, holding companies and industry players with a variety of significant investments.
Chambers Latin America 2021: Corporate/M&A (Latin America-wide)
- Ranked as a Leading Individual
Legal 500 Latin America 2020, Corporate and M&A – International Firms
- "Anthony Oldfield has an impressive mix of M&A and capital markets work; he is 'a very capable, engaged and experienced lawyer who identifies the critical issues and risks in order to support business decisions'."
Legal 500 Latin America 2019: International Firms: Corporate and M&A – Leading Lawyer
- "Anthony Oldfield has an outstanding reputation among clients, with one attesting: 'He's very committed and competent, and the experience he has brings a lot of commercial value. There are no surprises with him, and I am very happy to have him.' Another source says: 'I would single him out for this type of work; he is very experienced in this area.' He has a great deal of experience in the corporate arena, frequently acting for high-profile corporates on prominent inbound and outbound Brazil-focused investments."
Chambers Latin America 2020: Corporate/M&A – International – Brazil: Band 1 Lawyer
- "Anthony Oldfield stands out to interviewees as 'a very committed and competent lawyer whose experience brings a lot of commercial value to matters.' His experience acting on Latin American M&A transactions, particularly those concerning Brazil, is highly sought after by international corporations and private equity funds looking to invest in the region."
Chambers Latin America 2020: Corporate/M&A – International – Latin America-wide
- "Anthony Oldfield is an active figure in this practice area and is the managing partner of the firm's São Paulo office. Clients enjoy working with him, saying: 'He's very hands-on and has a strong business acumen. He is also a great negotiator.'"
Chambers Latin America 2019: Capital Markets – International – Brazil
- "São Paulo managing partner Anthony Oldfield is ‘experienced in finding solutions and defending clients’ interests.’"
Legal 500 Latin America 2018: International Firms: Corporate and M&A – Leading Lawyer
- Anthony Oldfield has been ranked in Chambers Latin America - Capital Markets (Latin America-wide). Clients report that Anthony Oldfield is "very creative and has the ability to lead large matters involving high volumes of work and competing parties." He is managing partner of the São Paulo office and principally handles capital markets deals in Brazil.
Chambers Latin America 2017 - Capital Markets
- Anthony Oldfield has been ranked in Chambers Latin America - Corporate/M&A (Latin America-wide). With over 25 years' experience handling cross-border M&A deals, Anthony Oldfield is considered among market observers to be a well-recognised and respected practitioner. He focuses primarily on transactions involving Brazil, and advised Banco Bradesco in the aforementioned work highlight.
Chambers Latin America 2017 - Corporate/M&A
- Anthony Oldfield has been ranked in Chambers Latin America - Capital Markets: International (Brazil). Managing partner of the São Paulo office, Anthony Oldfield advises clients on a range of public offerings. Sources speak of his "authoritative" contributions and go on to endorse him for the way he "facilitates deals by smoothing all the aspects of a transaction".
Chambers Latin America 2017 - Capital Markets: International
- Anthony Oldfield has been ranked as Band 1 in Chambers Latin America - Corporate/M&A: International (Brazil). Based in São Paulo, Anthony Oldfield is well regarded by market sources for his strong track record advising on high-value, multi-jurisdictional transactions. One interviewee notes: "He is ultra-experienced and knows a great deal about complex operations. His familiarity with the markets in Brazil, England and the USA makes him an excellent choice for cross-border work."
Chambers Latin America 2017- Corporate/M&A: International