Ying Chiang Chong specialises in debt and equity capital markets transactions for companies and real estate investment trusts in Singapore and across South East Asia, and is a member of the Global Financial Markets group. Ying Chiang has extensive experience in international debt and equity capital markets transactions, including initial public offerings, high yield debt issues and tender offers and has executed transactions across a broad range of sectors throughout South East Asia. She is recognised by Chambers Asia as an Up and Coming lawyer and by the Legal 500 Asia Pacific as a Rising Star in the domestic and foreign firms categories, respectively.
Ying Chiang is an active supporter of diversity and inclusion, and is a founding member of the Clifford Chance Singapore women's network.
- Advised the placement agents and trustee (pro bono) on the fifth issuance of Impact Investment Exchange (IIX)’s US$50 million bond offering under its Women’s Livelihood Bond™ (WLB) Series - the world’s first sustainable debt security in the market issued in compliance with the Orange Bond Principles™ and the first multi-continent bond in the Series.
- Advised The Straits Trading Company Limited on its offering of Exchangeable Bonds listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- Advised Merrill Lynch (Singapore) and Siam Commercial Bank in connection with the combined offering (including a preferential offering and private placement) of 192,307,693 shares by Thai Oil Public Company Limited.
- Citigroup, DBS, Standard Chartered and BNP Paribas as joint lead managers on the issuance of Singapore Airlines' U.S.$600,000,000 3.375 per cent. Notes due 2029 under its S$10,000,000,000 Multi-currency Medium Term Note Programme.
- Advised Vena Energy on the establishment of a US$1 billion euro medium term note programme and inaugural offering of Reg S US$325 million "green bonds" thereunder, listed on the SGX.
- Advised Singapore Exchange Limited in establishing its first-ever S$1.5 billion multicurrency debt issuance programme.
- Advised Citi, CIMB, Standard Chartered Bank and UBS as the arrangers and bookrunners on Axiata Group's dual offering of US$500 million 10-year trust certificates and U$1 billion 30-year senior notes, each rated Baa2(s) by Moody's and BBB+(s) by S&P. Axiata is a leading Asian telecommunications group.
- Advised United Overseas Bank Limited, UOB Kay Hian Private Limited, UBS AG, Singapore Branch, Credit Suisse (Singapore) Limited and The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited, Singapore Branch on the initial public offering (IPO) of units in United Hampshire US Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) to raise approximately US$394.6 million.
- Advised DBS Bank Ltd., Merrill Lynch (Singapore) Pte. Ltd., China International Capital Corporation (Singapore) Pte. Limited, Credit Suisse (Singapore) Limited, Maybank Kim Eng Securities Pte. Ltd. and Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation Limited in the initial public offering of units in Prime US REIT on Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited, which raised gross proceeds of US$813.0 million.
- Advised Serba Dinamik Holdings Berhad on its $300 Million High Yield Sukuk Offering; US$200 million high yield trust certificate offering Issuer counsel; and private placement of 306,507,000 new ordinary shares to raise a gross proceeds of approximately RM456.7 million.
- Advised Credit Suisse (Singapore) Limited, DBS Bank Ltd. and UBS AG, Singapore Branch, as joint lead managers, bookrunners and underwriters for an equity fund raising undertaken by Keppel Infrastructure Trust to raise approximately S$525.0 million. The equity fund raising comprised a placement and non-renounceable preferential offering of units, and was carried out subsequent to a combination of Cityspring Infrastructure Trust and Keppel Infrastructure Trust to form the largest Singapore infrastructure-focused business trust listed on the SGX-ST.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Nottingham (LLB) 2006
- Admitted as a Solicitor in Singapore 2008
- Admitted as a Solicitor in England and Wales 2017
- Ying Chiang is a member of a working group of industry professionals and investors set up by Singapore Exchange Regulation to review the retail bonds regulatory framework in Singapore, and contributes knowhow and templates to the International Capital Market Association on matters relating to Singapore regulations.
Awards and citations
- Ying Chiang is highly ranked by Chambers Asia as a leading lawyer for her excellence in capital markets work specifically IPO listings on the Singapore Mainboard. She has been recognised by Chambers Asia as an Up and Coming for Capital Markets: Domestic – Singapore.
Chambers Asia 2023
- Rising star
Legal 500 Asia Pacific : Capital Markets: Equity and Debt: Foreign Firms
- Rising star of the year for #CapitalMarkets
Legal 500 Southeast Asia Awards 2023
- Chong Ying Chiang was ranked Up and coming
Chong Ying Chiang of Clifford Chance is experienced in debt and equity capital markets, handling IPO listings on the Singapore Mainbord as well as REIT and bond issuances. She acts for issuers, underwriters and arrangers.
Ying Chiang is very good and hands-on. She is very thorough, responsive and can be relied on to do a very good analysis of documents.
Capital Markets: Domestic - Singapore by Chambers Asia Pacific 2023
- Ying Chiang Chong: reliable, hardworking, accessible and efficient. Always goes the extra mile in trying to get to the root of the legal issues and to find commercial solutions (without compromising on legal risks).
Capital Markets: Equity and Debt: Foreign Firms by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023