Mel Chan advises developers and financiers on cross-border project development and finance transactions. Her experience spans across oil & gas, refining and petrochemicals, LNG, power and infrastructure sectors. She has worked on numerous first-of-a-kind projects, and has handled multiple complex multi-source financings and blended finance transactions. She also has extensive experience on ECA-backed financings.
Mel is a member of the Clifford Chance Global Energy Transition Initiative which focuses on the Firm's activities in renewables, carbon capture, clean hydrogen, energy storage, carbon trading and Infratech. She speaks fluent Mandarin, Cantonese and English.
- Advising Asian Development Bank on the financing of two carbon offset projects in India.
- Advising a multilateral development bank on blended facilities to be provided to the developer of an existing coal-fired power plant in Indonesia. The objective of the transaction is to facilitate the early retirement of such coal-fired power plant.
- Advising the commercial lenders on the Atradius-backed US$2.1bn financing of the land development works for the New Manila International Airport, the Philippines. Finance Deal of the Year, ALB Philippine Law Awards 2022
- Advising the financiers (including ECAs, commercial banks and Islamic institutions) on the project financing of the Malkara-Canakkale motorway (including 1915 Canakkale Bridge) PPP project, Turkey.
- Advising the project company and sponsors on the project financing of a US$25bn+ LNG project.
- Advising multiple ECAs and Islamic institutions on the financing of a petrochemical and refinery project in Malaysia.
- Advising the project company and sponsors on the project development and financing of three mega greenfield petrochemicals projects in the KSA.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Oxford (BA Economics and Management) 2009
- BPP Law School (Graduate Diploma in Law) 2010
- University of Hong Kong (Postgraduate Certificates in Law) 2011
- Joined Clifford Chance 2013
- Admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong 2014
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2023