Thijs Alexander specialises in mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and equity capital market transactions. Thijs has been involved in many large and high-profile public offers and private equity transactions.
- Staples Inc on its EUR€3.1 billion public offer for all outstanding shares in Corporate Express
- Rodamco Europe in relation to its EUR€11.2 billion merger with Unibail Holding
- a consortium of investors on their EUR€8.7 billion public offer for VNU (subsequently renamed Nielsen)
- CVC on its EUR€744 million acquisition of Schuitema
- Candover on its EUR€1.6 billion public offer for Stork, the Dutch industrial conglomerate
- A consortium of private equity investors on the EUR€8.3 billion acquisition of a majority stake in Philips Semiconductors (subsequently renamed NXP)
- The selling shareholders in connection with the IPO of NXP and several subsequent block trades
- The underwriters and issuers in connection with several rights issues and private placements
- The Dutch Central Bank on several high profile matters, including the nationalisation of Fortis and ABN AMRO with a value of EUR€16.8 billion
- The board and the CEO of a major Dutch bank on various sensitive matters
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Amsterdam (Law) 1987
- University of Michigan (LLM) 1988
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton 1988
- Admitted as an advocaat in Netherlands 1995
- Joined Clifford Chance 1995
- Partner since 2000
Awards and citations
- Thijs Alexander is "extremely strong technically" and "a very pragmatic lawyer." He frequently acts for leading international private equity houses and financial institutions on the buy and sell sides of corporate transactions.
Chambers Europe 2020
- Thijs is described as "a very smart, experienced and pragmatic lawyer
Chambers Europe 2019
- Thijs is praised by peers as "a very clever, reputable lawyer".
Chambers Europe 2013
- "His private equity practice is highly regarded, and he often works on sponsored deals"
Chambers Global 2013