James Law specialises in advising on complex real estate development projects, direct and indirect equity investment in real estate, joint ventures, and real estate finance matters.
James has extensive experience advising clients on a broad range of real estate assets, both traditional and alternative including offices, film studios and aerospace and defence locations.
James co-leads the firm's Retirement Living Group and is the firm's representative for The Associated Retirement Community Operators (ARCO).
James is also co-chair of Clifford Chance's Armed Forces Network.
- UK Government's Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy on its £100 million grant to fund the acquisition and upgrade of an existing vaccine manufacturing facility located in Braintree, Essex, UK to convert it for the mass production of a successful Covid-19 vaccine in the UK
- Thomson Reuters on the sale of a data centre in East London including revising global TSA and services contracts with the occupier and services providers
- Telefonica on the merger of its UK subsidiary O2 with Liberty Global's Virgin Media to create a £30bn joint venture. This merger will establish the leading operator in the UK telecommunications market with approximately one third of the sector's total revenue
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Newcastle Upon Tyne (BA) 2004
- Royal Military Academy Sandhurst 2005
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2013
- Joined Clifford Chance 2020
Awards and citations
- James Law is an outstanding senior associate. He has been of great help negotiating our lease assignment. Always on top of his things and available for his client. Moreoever, he is a great partner to work with. Great team!
Legal 500 2023: Commercial Property: Corporate Occupiers