Ayla is a Senior Associate in the Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice with 10 years of experience in international corporate and commercial litigation.
She advises on a wide range of contentious matters with a focus on complex commercial and corporate litigation, large-scale litigation and class actions/group litigation.
Ayla specialises in Aviation disputes, post-closing disputes, including breach of warranty claims and completion accounting disputes and has significant trial experience.
- Advising lessors on disputes in the aviation sector in relation to a range of lessee default issues including, for example, cross-border enforcement and recovery issues.
- Part of the Clifford Chance team acting in Various v News Group Newspapers, defending News International in the managed litigation in relation to claims of phone hacking and unlawful information gathering.
- Part of the Clifford Chance team acting in HP Autonomy v Dr Lynch & Anor, in defence of a US$5 billion claim brought by Hewlett Packard in the High Court of England and Wales. This culminated in a nine-month trial involving 40+ witnesses. Dr Lynch faces US$5 billion in damages relating to issuer liability, misrepresentation, and tort claims and was one of the first to consider claims brought under §90A of FSMA (called “the fraud trial of the century” by the mainstream press).
- Acts also for Dr Lynch in connection with US DOJ and SEC investigations and related extradition proceedings in relation to the same dispute.
- Advised GE in a $200m post closing M&A dispute and various other post acquisition accounting disputes.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Otago (B.Com, LLB) 2012
- Admitted as a barrister and solicitor in New Zealand 2013
- Previously worked in the litigation department of New Zealand’s largest law firm
- Joined Clifford Chance in 2018