Jamie specialises in resolving commercial disputes in the construction, natural resources and sports sectors.
Jamie has a global practice, having resolved disputes in Europe, Asia Pacific, the Middle East, Africa and the Americas. He has conducted arbitrations under all major institutional rules, where he has undertaken his own oral advocacy and cross-examinations. In addition to counsel work, he also sits as administrative secretary to arbitral tribunals.
In construction, Jamie has experience with all major standard form contracts and advises clients on transactional matters, including drafting and negotiating construction contracts and related agreements.
Jamie has a broad natural resources practice, including resolving disputes regarding the sale and purchase of oil, gas, LNG, metals and minerals, as well as expropriation disputes through treaty mechanisms.
In the sport sector, Jamie has represented clubs against governing bodies and sits as an amateur league arbitrator.
Jamie is admitted in Australia and as a Solicitor Advocate (Civil) in England & Wales. He is also a Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. Prior to joining Clifford Chance, Jamie practised at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer in the Middle East and with Clyde & Co in London and Australia.
- A contractor in ICC arbitration proceedings concerning significant payment disputes and delay and disruption claims for works at a major oil and gas facility in the Middle East. Included oral advocacy and cross-examinations at the merits hearing.
- A contractor in ICC emergency arbitration proceedings, court proceedings and applications for interim measures concerning calls upon its performance and retention security regarding works at a major oil and gas processing facility in the Middle East.
- A major oil and gas company in expert determination proceedings concerning US$ 450 million in claims for dredging works to build various artificial islands within an offshore oil field.
- A global energy corporation in UNCITRAL arbitration proceedings concerning the construction of one of the world’s largest natural gas projects in Australia.
- A contractor in ICC arbitration proceedings seated in Singapore concerning the construction of a combined cycle power plant for an LNG facility in Australia.
- A contractor in UNCITRAL arbitration proceedings seated in Singapore concerning an iron ore mining facility in Australia.
- A contractor in LCIA arbitration proceedings against a state-owned entity concerning the design, engineering and construction of an early production facility in Kuwait.
- A subcontractor in LCIA arbitration proceedings against an international contractor concerning the construction of an oil production facility in Iraq.
- A contractor concerning various disputes with different parties relating to the design and construction of a combined heat and power biomass facility in Scotland.
Energy and Natural Resources:
- A mining company in disputes following the expropriation of mining tenements in Africa.
- An international oil and gas company in disputes with a JV partner over the processing of LNG.
- An international oil and gas company concerning its potential exit from long term LNG sale and purchase agreements.
- A natural resources company in disputes with an LNG supplier for failed deliveries and the impact on production and operations.
- Premier League football club in disputes regarding the enactment of new rules by a governing body.
- Premier League football clubs in disputes with regulatory bodies and other European football clubs following the announcement of a new European league.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of East Anglia (LLB), 2012
- University of Law (Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice), 2013
- Clyde & Co, 2014
- Solicitor, England and Wales, 2016
- Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, 2020
- Joined Clifford Chance, 2022
- Higher Rights of Audience (Civil), England and Wales, 2023
- Supreme Court of Victoria (Australia), 2023
- High Court of Australia, 2023