Matt Lyons is a partner in the Structured Capital Markets Group of Clifford Chance and has extensive experience with structured finance transactions. His practice involves all aspects of the securitization of commercial real estate assets, with a primary focus on commercial real estate collateralized loan obligation transactions, net-lease securitizations, commercial mortgage-backed securitizations (including multi-seller conduit, floating rate, single borrower and small balance transactions), single family rental securitizations (including both single borrower and multi-borrower deals) and resecuritizations.
Matt regularly represents the main participants in public and private commercial real estate-related financing transactions, including sponsors, issuers, underwriters, investors, collateral managers, loan sellers and rating agencies.
In addition, Matt routinely advises clients in connection with other types of secured financings, including those structured as repurchase transactions. He also represents lenders in connection with the creation and disposition of split commercial mortgage loans.
Matt's experience also includes representing issuers, underwriters and insurers in public offerings and private placements of residential mortgage-backed securities.
- A first time issuer in connection with the creation and issuance of US$250 million of notes backed by a pool of net leased properties.
- A nationally recognized rating agency in connection with providing ratings on commercial real estate CLOs, single family rental securitizations, agency securitizations and other securitizations backed by commercial real estate assets.
- A major investment bank in connection with a US$900 million securitization of net-leased properties.
- A major investment bank in connection with its resecuritization program of commercial mortgage-backed securities.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- College of the Holy Cross (BA) 1998
- St John's University School of Law (JD, cum laude) 2002
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 2003
- Joined Clifford Chance 2019