Kathleen L. Werner is a Partner in the Capital Markets practice of Clifford Chance. Kathleen primarily represents companies and investment banks in capital markets and mergers and acquisitions transactions. Kathleen's clients include public and private companies in the financial services, real estate and media industries. She acts as regular outside corporate and SEC counsel to many of her clients.
In addition, Kathleen frequently represents investment banking firms acting as underwriters and initial purchasers in public and private securities offerings.
Kathleen is a trustee of The New York Foundling.
Clifford Chance advising Hearst on its acquisition of Rodale's global content business
20 October 2017
Clifford Chance's US REIT team advises on the groundbreaking IPO of Safety, Income and Growth
29 June 2017
SEC Proposes Amendments to Improve Accuracy of Proxy Voting Advice and to Modernize Shareholder Proposal Rules
27 November 2019
SEC Eases Restraints on Pre-Marketing Investor Communications
28 October 2019
SEC Adopts Amendments to Further Modernize and Simplify Disclosure Requirements
10 April 2019
NYSE Restricts Material News Releases Shortly After Official Close
29 December 2017
New SEC Staff Guidance Extends FAST Act Financial Disclosure Relief and the JOBS Act Confidential Review Process to all Issuers, Including REITs
13 September 2017
Career and qualifications
- St. Joseph's University (BA) 1988
- Georgetown University Law Center (JD) 1991
- Joined Clifford Chance 1991
- Partner since 2000
Awards and citations
- Kathleen Werner has been ranked in Chambers USA: REITs. Sources comment: "She's a pleasure to work with; she's really smart and very practical," adding that "she's very innovative; she's a great attorney."
Chambers USA 2019 - REITs (Nationwide)
- Kathleen Werner has been ranked in Chambers USA – REITs (Nationwide). Sources say that Kathleen Werner is "very knowledgeable, understands the legal and regulatory language and is commercial and creative." She advises both traded and nontraded REITs, as well as banks serving as underwriters.
Chambers USA 2017– REITs
- Kathleen has been recognized as a leader in the REIT industry.
Chambers USA and Chambers Global
- According to her clients and peers, she is considered an "extremely hard-working, client-focused and creative lawyer."
Chambers USA 2013