Gareth Old is a derivatives and structured finance lawyer in New York. His practice concentrates on risk management strategies for banks and financial investors, including cash and synthetic securitisations, derivatives and repo transactions, capital and regulatory advice. His clients include prominent fund and investment managers, banks, investors and service providers.
Prior to moving to New York in 2004, Gareth worked in Clifford Chance's offices in London, Hong Kong and Frankfurt.
Clifford Chance advises Goldman Sachs on Ecuador's landmark social bond
6 February 2020
Clifford Chance advises Global Jet Capital in connection with the offering of $608,030,000 Series 2018-1 Secured Notes
28 February 2018
Clifford Chance advises on landmark securitization for Panama infrastructure project
22 August 2017
Clifford Chance advises on the second financing of Peru's first subway project
29 October 2015
- SFIG Legal Forum 2019: The Future of Regulatory Capital
Moderator, June 4, 2019, New York City
- Applicability of U.S. Risk Retention Rules to Structured Aircraft Portfolio Transactions
Career and qualifications
- Manchester University (BA, History) 1993
- Joined Clifford Chance in 1997
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1999
- Clifford Chance Hong Kong 2002 – 2004
- Clifford Chance New York since 2004
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 2008
- Partner since 2010
Awards and citations
- Gareth Old has been ranked in Chambers USA: Capital Markets - Derivatives. Clients say: "He's very smart, very thoughtful and practical." Other sources add: "He is very structured in his thinking, and able to come up with good solutions and convey them in a way that inspires confidence."
Chambers USA 2019 – Capital Markets: Derivatives (Nationwide)
- Gareth Old has been ranked in Chambers USA– Capital Markets: Derivatives (Nationwide). Clients say of Gareth Old: "He is very knowledgeable and I find him to be very responsible and accessible." He recently advised major US and international banks on Basel III regulatory capital matters.
Chambers USA 2017 – Capital Markets: Derivatives