Kai-Niklas Schneider is a Partner in the Singapore office and a member of the APAC Private Funds Group.
Kai is a US qualified lawyer with over 20 years of specialist experience in the funds sector and advises clients on the formation of and investment in a wide variety of private equity funds, real estate funds, infrastructure funds and credit funds. He also counsels clients on co-investments, secondaries and spin outs. As a member of Clifford Chance's global Executive Leadership Group, he leads the firm's highly successful global focus on financial investors. Kai is the co-chair of the Executive Committee of the Singapore Funds Industry Group (SFIG) and a member of the Advocacy Subcommittee of the Singapore Venture & Private Capital Association (SVCA) and the Singapore Executive Committee of the Alternative Investment Management Association (AIMA). He is ranked Band 1 in Chambers Global and Legal 500.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- American University (BA, International Studies) 1998
- University of Baltimore School of Law (JD) 2001
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in the District of Columbia 2003
- Georgetown University Law Center (LLM) 2004
- Joined Clifford Chance as Senior Associate 2005
- Rejoined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2013
- Qualified to advise on Singapore law (finance, corporate and commercial) 2020
- Co-chair of the Executive Committee of the Singapore Funds Industry Group (SFIG)
- Member of the Advocacy Subcommittee of the Singapore Venture & Private Capital Association (SVCA)
- Member of the Singapore Executive Committee of the Alternative Investment Management Association (AIMA)
Awards and citations
- "Kai Schneider is a market leader in the private funds space in Singapore, regularly advising on the formation of private equity and investment funds. He is widely admired for both his legal abilities and client service, and one source comments that 'he has deep legal knowledge but brings a pragmatic approach too," adding that "he has a great manner with clients."
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2022
Investment Funds: International
- "Kai-Niklas Schneider is the go-to expert in the formation of, and investment in a variety of multijurisdictional funds, and for sponsors on accessing the US and EU markets, as well as on regional licensing and securities laws."
The Legal 500 2021
Investment Funds: Foreign Firms
- "He's very holistic and commercial and he's a very solid sounding board. He has an excellent grasp of fund formation and funds globally.”
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020