Bartosz Krużewski's practice focuses on a wide range of arbitration and litigation matters. He specialises in complex disputes both domestic and international. His experience includes post-merger, construction, finance, investment and shareholder disputes as well as advisory work in the oil and gas, telecoms and construction sectors.
Bartosz also advises and represents clients in white-collar and directors' liabilities related matters. Bartosz has represented States, governmental agencies and private parties. He regularly sits as an arbitrator under various arbitration rules and publishes in the field of arbitration. Bartosz also specialises in court and out-of-court restructurings, including involvement in high-profile contentious and non-contentious restructurings.
- Representing a financial investor before the Court of Justice of the European Union in a case for a preliminary reference made by the Polish court concerning consumer mortgage loans indexed to CHF.
- Advising a state in EUR400 million Energy Charter Treaty investment arbitration
- Advising an investor in BIT arbitration related to investment in the real estate sector
- Advising an employer in ICC arbitration over construction of gas infrastructure
- Advising an auditor in a widely publicised arbitration with a value in excess of PLN430 million relating to the valuation of an M&A transaction
- Representing three investors operating wind farms in arbitration disputes with a public utility.
- Representing a U.S. investor in BIT arbitration against Poland, concerning multi-million dollar investments in the Polish wind energy sector.
Clifford Chance successfully defends Poland from a claim for USD 400m in Energy Charter Treaty arbitration
13 February 2012
Clifford Chance advised the bondholders of Elektrim S.A.
21 January 2011
- Clifford Chance, Warsaw
- Email me
- Save my Vcard
- Speaks Polish and English
- Practice area Regulatory enforcement & white collar, Litigation, dispute resolution & risk management, Restructuring & insolvency, Arbitration, Construction
- Sector Healthcare, life sciences & chemicals, Banks, Energy & resources, Private equity
Career and qualifications
- Oxford University, Pembroke College, Magister Juris in European and Comparative Law 1996
- Utrecht University, Utrecht (European Law) 1993
- Warsaw University, Faculty of Law 1995
- Admitted as an advocate (adwokat) in Poland 2000
- Joined Clifford Chance 2003
- Partner since 2006
- Head of the Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice since 2006
- Co-head of the Restructuring Group since 2007
- Regional Practice Area Leader for CE L&DR since 2019
- Member of The Warsaw Bar Association
- ICC Poland - immediate past Member of the Board of Directors
- ICC Poland - immediate past Chairman of the ICC Poland Arbitration Committee
- ICC, member of the Arbitration Commission
- Lewiatan Arbitration Court in Warsaw – past Chairman of the Appointing Committee
- Polish Arbitration Association
- Polish Bar Association – Member of the Arbitration Committee
Awards and citations
- Practice head Bartosz Krużewski is a highly esteemed practitioner, widely recognised as one of the top litigators in Poland. Interviewees are full of praise, with one impressed source noting: "He is a very experienced lawyer who is able to quickly understand our business and concerns." He is also a respected arbitrator.
Chambers Global 2019, Dispute Resolution - Poland
- Practice head Bartosz Krużewski is a top-ranked practitioner who is particularly skilled at advising domestic and international clients on post-merger disputes and has extensive experience in high-profile contentious construction cases. He is also a sought-after arbitration counsel and arbitrator. "He can communicate legal strategy in simple words," a client says.
Chambers Global 2018, Dispute Resolution – Poland, Poland, Dispute Resolution: Most in Demand Arbitrators
- Practice head Bartosz Krużewski is highly commended by clients and peers alike. He is particularly skilled at advising domestic and international clients on post-merger disputes and has extensive experience in contentious construction cases. He is also a sought-out arbitrator. Clients describe him as "a very experienced, brilliant litigator and a strong communicator, very good at explaining complex matters in an understandable way." Another source describes him as a strategically strong lawyer, who presents "very convincing and very smart arguments." He recently represented Colas Polska and Intertoll construction in a dispute with the GDDKiA regarding the selection of a company for building toll collection areas on the A4 motorway's Wrocław–Sośnica section.
Chambers Europe 2017
- Practice head Bartosz Krużewski is widely recognised as one of the top litigators in Poland. He handles domestic and international cases, and also acts as an arbitrator. Clients enthuse that "he is extremely reliable and a strong expert in contentious public tender cases."
Chambers Europe 2016
- Bartosz Krużewski is highlighted for his expertise in bankruptcy-related litigation, coming described as a "very talented, top-notch litigation lawyer with activity in insolvency."
Chambers Europe 2016
- Practice head Bartosz Kruzewski is an excellent litigator who is praised by clients for his commercial acumen and understanding their needs. "He can pinpoint the problem and knows how to attack it," reports one interviewee. He is also a respected arbitrator.
Chambers Europe 2015
- Acclaimed litigator Bartosz Kruzewski frequently represents clients in insolvency proceedings. Clients describe him as "calm, humble and highly skilled" and say that "his arguments are always well thought through."
Chambers Europe 2015