Greg Crookes specialises in complex cross-border M&A and joint ventures. He acts for a range of private equity and corporate clients and financial institutions, is known for being hands-on without losing sight of the big picture, and has substantial experience on both the buy-side and sell-side.
- Advising Darling International Inc on its EUR€1.6 billion acquisition of Vion Ingredients. VION Ingredients has 58 businesses and approximately 5700 employees worldwide
- Advising the KKR, Silverlake, Bain Capital, Apax and AlpInvest consortium on their acquisition through a controlled auction of NXP Semiconductors from Royal Philips
- Advising Sanoma Corporation on the acquisition though a controlled auction of the free-to-air TV business of SBS Broadcasting in Belgium and the Netherlands and related consortium agreements with fellow investors
- Advising 3i on the acquisition of Dockwise, the heavy transport group, from offshore services company Heerema Group and Norwegian maritime group Wilh. Wilhelmsen ASA and the subsequent reverse take-over by Dockwise of Sealift Ltd, the Norwegian shipping group
- Advising DIC Corporation and its subsidiary SunChemical on a swap transaction with The Valspar Corporation across 31 jurisdictions
Clifford Chance Amsterdam advises Vermaat on the acquisition of a majority stake in the Amsterdam based food store chain Stach
9 September 2019
Clifford Chance advises Carrefour on its proposed sale of a controlling stake in its activities in China to Suning.com
9 July 2019
Clifford Chance advises Sanoma on the sale of Mood for Magazines (LINDA. Magazine) to Talpa
18 February 2019
Clifford Chance advises 3i portfolio company Hans Anders on acquisition of eyes + more
11 December 2018
Clifford Chance advises on open access optical fiber network project in Rotterdam
31 July 2018
The New COMESA Merger Control Regime: All Filings Welcome?
8 February 2013
Distributions to shareholders under the new Dutch private company law
28 September 2012
Career and qualifications
- University of Cape Town (Bachelor of Commerce) 1990
- University of Cape Town (MA) 1996
- Partner at Bernadt Vukic Potash & Getz, South Africa 1999
- Joined Clifford Chance Amsterdam 2000
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2002
- Partner since 2008
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Cape Law Society (South Africa)
Awards and citations
- Gregory is valued as "a very capable negotiator and a crisp and clear communicator, with a practical and pragmatic approach"
Chambers Europe 2019
- "Gregory Crookes is "strong on overseeing complex situations". He advised a consortium of private equity groups on Nielsen Holdings' secondary public offering on NYSE."
Legal 500 2013
- One client comments: "He really understands the commercial implications and can think outside the box."
Chambers Europe 2011