Greg Crookes specialises in complex cross-border M&A and joint ventures. He acts for a range of private equity and corporate clients and financial institutions, is known for being hands-on without losing sight of the big picture, and has substantial experience on both the buy-side and sell-side.
- Advising Darling International Inc on its EUR€1.6 billion acquisition of Vion Ingredients. VION Ingredients has 58 businesses and approximately 5700 employees worldwide
- Advising the KKR, Silverlake, Bain Capital, Apax and AlpInvest consortium on their acquisition through a controlled auction of NXP Semiconductors from Royal Philips
- Advising Sanoma Corporation on the acquisition though a controlled auction of the free-to-air TV business of SBS Broadcasting in Belgium and the Netherlands and related consortium agreements with fellow investors
- Advising 3i on the acquisition of Dockwise, the heavy transport group, from offshore services company Heerema Group and Norwegian maritime group Wilh. Wilhelmsen ASA and the subsequent reverse take-over by Dockwise of Sealift Ltd, the Norwegian shipping group
- Advising DIC Corporation and its subsidiary SunChemical on a swap transaction with The Valspar Corporation across 31 jurisdictions
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Cape Town (Bachelor of Commerce) 1990
- University of Cape Town (MA) 1996
- Partner at Bernadt Vukic Potash & Getz, South Africa 1999
- Joined Clifford Chance Amsterdam 2000
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2002
- Partner since 2008
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Cape Law Society (South Africa)
Awards and citations
- Clients laud Gregory Crookes for being "great at pushing deals forward," and add that he "really takes your interests to heart." He acts for clients on a range of transactions in the telecommunications, life sciences and manufacturing industries.
Chambers Europe 2020
- Gregory is valued as "a very capable negotiator and a crisp and clear communicator, with a practical and pragmatic approach"
Chambers Europe 2019
- "Gregory Crookes is "strong on overseeing complex situations". He advised a consortium of private equity groups on Nielsen Holdings' secondary public offering on NYSE."
Legal 500 2013
- One client comments: "He really understands the commercial implications and can think outside the box."
Chambers Europe 2011