Dirk-Jan Duynstee specialises in corporate and securities litigation, including post M&A disputes, public take-over disputes, shareholder disputes and squeeze out proceeding, and has experience in general commercial litigation and in insolvency litigation.
Dirk-Jan often acts before the Enterprise Chamber and is a member of our global risk leadership team.
- Representing various (minority) shareholders in proceedings regarding private equity investments, disputes related to exits, information rights, (the meaning of) shareholders' agreements and directors' liability
- Representing board of directors in bankruptcy situations
- Acting for financial institutions in proceedings relating to the duty of care
- Representing various hedge funds in activist campaigns, public offer situations and squeeze-out proceedings
- Advising private equity firms in relation to a disputes with fellow shareholders regarding an exit
News and client work
- Author of "De OK acht zichzelf exclusief bevoegd in uitkoopprocedure met betrekking tot in Nederland gevestigde vennootschappen op grond van art. 24 sub 2 Brussel I-bis", published in Ondernemingsrecht dated 15 March 2020
- Contributor: "Xeikon buy-out procedure" of the Enterprise Chamber of the Amsterdam Court of Appeal, published in JOR dated May 2019
- Contributor: "Sirowa buy-out procedure" of the Enterprise Chamber of the Amsterdam Court of Appeal, published in JOR dated May 2019
- Contributor to the book "Toezicht", published by Wolters Kluwer (2018)
Career and qualifications
- University of Utrecht (Law) 2000
- Admitted as an advocaat in Netherlands 2003
- Joined Clifford Chance 2003
- Spigthoff 2006
- Partner at Spigt Litigators (formerly Spighthoff) 2010
- Rejoined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2012
- Dutch Association of Corporate Litigation
- Dutch Association of Securities Law
Awards and citations
- The "super experienced" Dirk-Jan Duynstee "stays calm and fully in control, goes the extra mile" and is "really a safe pair of hands," according to clients. He acts for clients on financial disputes and bankruptcies. His clients include governmental bodies and financial institutions.
Chambers Europe 2020
- Dirk-Jan is described as "technically very strong, and also a commercial and practical lawyer"
Chambers Europe 2019