Marc Mehlen co-heads the Banking and Finance practice at Clifford Chance's Luxembourg office. He specialises in national and cross-border banking and finance work, including in particular bank lending, acquisition finance, real estate finance, asset finance, securitisations and structured finance.
Marc also has broad experience in insolvency and restructuring work, including on real estate transactions.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Strasbourg (Maîtrise) 1998
- University of London (LL.M) 1999
- Admitted as an avocat in Luxembourg 2000
- Joined Clifford Chance 2000
- Admitted as an avocat à la Cour to the Luxembourg bar 2002
- Partner since 2007
- Haut Comité de la Place Financière, member (various working groups)
- Member of the Legal Affairs Committee of the Luxembourg Bankers' Association (ABBL)
Awards and citations
- According to clients, Marc Mehlen is "very pragmatic" and "always tries to find a solution."
Chambers Europe 2021: Banking & Finance
- Marc Mehlen is recognised by commentators for his securitisation work. Clients also underline his pragmatism.
Chambers Europe 2020: Capital Markets
- Department co-head Marc Mehlen is revered for his "analytical mind. He manages to find solutions quickly, and delivers very well."
Chambers Europe 2016: Banking & Finance, Luxembourg
- Marc Mehlen earns plaudits for "his level of service and responsiveness, his very clear advice and willingness to make judgement calls, and his feel for the local market and the local political environment."
Chambers Europe 2015: Banking & Finance
- Clients praise Marc Mehlen's transaction management skills, saying: "He makes sure transactions run smoothly at the final execution stages and ensures that communication flows well between offices."
Chambers Europe 2015: Capital Markets
- Marc Mehlen is appreciated by clients for his articulate and to-the-point advice: "He is very quick-thinking and able to explain complicated concepts well. He gives decisive answers rather than vague legal advice."
Chambers Europe 2014: Banking & Finance