Marc Mehlen co-heads the Banking and Finance practice at Clifford Chance's Luxembourg office. He specialises in national and cross-border banking and finance work, including in particular bank lending, acquisition finance, real estate finance, asset finance, securitisations and structured finance.
Marc also has broad experience in insolvency and restructuring work, including on real estate transactions.
Clifford Chance advises GreenOak on the financing of two significant real estate portfolios
11 June 2019
Clifford Chance advises funds managed by Amundi Real Estate on the acquisition of the "Top 5" portfolio
9 April 2019
Clifford Chance advises North Star on sale of Frankfurt's Trianon skyscraper for 670 million euros
13 December 2018
Clifford Chance advises Blackstone on landmark financing for the pan-European luxury hotel portfolio known as 'Dedica Anthology'
7 December 2018
Clifford Chance advises Deutsche Glasfaser Group on 650 million EUR refinancing
30 January 2018
Luxembourg law on register of beneficial owners
29 August 2019
Growing the Green Economy: Addressing the Sustainability Challenges and Opportunities
31 July 2019
Risk factors in Securitisation Prospectuses under the EU Prospectus Regulation (PD3)
22 July 2019
EU directive on restructuring frameworks: The same, but different?
26 June 2019
Rate Expectations: Transitioning away from LIBOR - practical guidance for corporate treasurers
1 May 2019
Career and qualifications
- University of Strasbourg (Maîtrise) 1998
- University of London (LL.M) 1999
- Admitted as an avocat in Luxembourg 2000
- Joined Clifford Chance 2000
- Admitted as an avocat à la Cour to the Luxembourg bar 2002
- Partner since 2007
- Member of the Legal Affairs Committee of the Luxembourg Bankers' Association (ABBL)
Awards and citations
- Department co-head Marc Mehlen is revered for his "analytical mind. He manages to find solutions quickly, and delivers very well."
Chambers Europe 2016: Banking & Finance, Luxembourg
- Marc Mehlen earns plaudits for "his level of service and responsiveness, his very clear advice and willingness to make judgement calls, and his feel for the local market and the local political environment."
Chambers Europe 2015: Banking & Finance
- Clients praise Marc Mehlen's transaction management skills, saying: "He makes sure transactions run smoothly at the final execution stages and ensures that communication flows well between offices."
Chambers Europe 2015: Capital Markets
- Marc Mehlen is appreciated by clients for his articulate and to-the-point advice: "He is very quick-thinking and able to explain complicated concepts well. He gives decisive answers rather than vague legal advice."
Chambers Europe 2014: Banking & Finance