Luciano Di Via is the Head of the Italian Antitrust Practice and is considered one of the primary experts in antitrust in Italy.
Luciano splits his time between Rome and Brussels and has more than 20 years' experience specialising in all aspects of EU and Italian antitrust law, including merger control, cartels, abuse of market power and market investigations/sector inquires. Luciano works across a wide range of sectors, including food and beverage, retail, insurance, energy and telecommunications. Luciano is also Co-Chair of the ICC Task Force on Cartels and Leniency.
Before joining Clifford Chance in 2013, Luciano spent 10 years at the Italian Competition Authority — two of which he was the ICA’s seconded national expert at the European Commission's Directorate General of Competition. During his time with the ICA, amongst other activities, he led teams conducting dawn raids at company premises.
News and client work
Global M&A Toolkit
- Luciano comments on the general level of fines for cartels in 2014 and the main sectors targeted by the European Commission (April 2015)
Career and qualifications
- LUISS University, Rome (LL.D) 1989
- Civil Servant at the Italian Competition Authority 1991
- Admitted as an avvocato in Italy 1992
- Senior Associate, Bonelli Erede Pappalardo 2001
- Partner, Bonelli Erede Pappalardo 2003
- Admitted as a cassazionista (Supreme Court lawyer) 2013
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner and Head of Italian Antitrust Practice 2013
- Co-Chair of the ICC Task Force on Cartels and Leniency
- Cassazionista - supreme court lawyer admitted to practice before the highest courts of Italy (2013)
Awards and citations
- #2 Competition/EU Law
Chambers Europe 2019
- Leading Individual in EU & Competition Law
- Sources report: “He has great knowledge of the subject and an ability to analyse and understand the issues.”
Chambers Europe 2019: Competition/EU Law