Charles Adams is Regional Managing Partner for Continental Europe and Co-Head of Finance & Capital Markets in Italy. He is a dual qualified avvocato (Italy) and solicitor (England & Wales) who is widely recognised as one of Italy's leading banking and finance lawyers.
Charles has advised banks and borrowers on some of the most significant syndicated loans, leveraged and project finance transactions in the Italian market over the past 20 years. He also advises clients on major Italian restructurings and insolvencies and is active in the Energy sector, having advised on some of Italy's landmark infrastructure and project financings and more recently on renewables transactions.
- Investec in relation to the financing for the development of several portfolios of photovoltaic power plants in Italy.
- BNP Paribas in relation to the €102 million financing of two wind farms in the municipalities of Scampitella and Vallesaccarda.
- Syndicate of banks in relation to the €130 million credit facility in favour of Avio.
- ChemChina in relation to the negotiation and finalisation of a €6.8 billion acquisition financing package underwritten by JP Morgan to fund the acquisition of a 26.2% stake in Pirelli and the consequent tender offer for up to 100% of the shares in Pirelli.
- BNP Paribas in relation to the amendment of the senior facility agreement between Giochi Preziosi and Artsana for the establishment of a new portfolio of shopping centres for children.
- Pirelli in relation to the underwriting of a new revolving and term loan multi-currency facility worth a total of €1 billion.
- The arranging banks on the EUR€1.25 billlion financing for World Duty Free Group SAU
- The coordinating committee on the restructuring of Seat Pagine Gialle
- Assicurazioni Generali on its EUR€1.8 billion programme of bilateral facilities
Clifford Chance named "Best International Counsel – Projects" by Chambers Latin America
29 November 2017
Clifford Chance completes another major infrastructure financing in Peru
25 August 2017
Clifford Chance advises on pioneering M&A transaction involving statutory cross-border merger of a listed Italian company to the UK
14 April 2015
Clifford Chance helps GTECH secure US $10.7 billion in financing for merger with IGT
16 July 2014
Clifford Chance conseille les banques sur le financement et sur l'offre publique d'achat de Global Resorts SAS sur Club Méditerranée
2 July 2014
The use of English law in Italian financial transactions after Brexit
29 March 2019
Italy's budget and the EU's excessive deficit procedure: What's going on?
5 December 2018
Infrastructure in Mexico: US$3 Billion Public Private Partnership Projects Plan Unveiled
11 March 2017
Mexico's Second Auction: PPA Features and Bankability Considerations
10 October 2016
First Power Auction under Mexico's New Power Regime: Cautious Optimism for International Investors
30 March 2016
Career and qualifications
- Oxford University (BA Hons, Jurisprudence) 1990
- Joined Clifford Chance 1992
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1994
- Clifford Chance Rome 1994
- Clifford Chance Milan since 1999
- Partner since 2000
- Admitted as an avvocato in Italy 2005
- Managing Partner, Italy 2007
- Co-Head of Finance & Capital Markets, Italy 2018
- Regional Managing Partner, Continental Europe 2018
Awards and citations
- "A very well-known lawyer in the Italian banking industry." He is praised for being "outstanding, both technically and commercially, with very strong negotiation skills."
Chambers Global & Europe 2018: Banking & Finance – Italy
- An "excellent lawyer."
Chambers Europe 2018: Restructuring & Insolvency – Italy
- #1 Banking & Finance – Foreign Experts – UK
- #1 Banking & Finance – Foreign Experts – Italy
Chambers Global 2018
- #2 Banking & Finance
Chambers Global & Europe 2018
- #4 Restructuring & Insolvency
Chambers Europe 2018
- Mentioned in Banking & Finance – Borrower side; Banking & Finance – Lender or Arranger side
- Leading Lawyer in Banking, Project Finance and Restructuring
- "He is the best lawyer for structuring LBOs" and "he has a good track record and is able to immediately provide a range of solutions."
Chambers Global & Europe 2017: Banking & Finance – Italy
- "He's very charismatic, is able to find the correct solution to the problem and is very experienced."
Chambers Europe 2017: Restructuring & Insolvency – Italy
- "If he is on the deal, it will succeed."
Chambers Global & Europe 2016: Banking & Finance – Italy
- "A very experienced, pragmatic lawyer."
Chambers Europe 2016: Restructuring & Insolvency – Italy
Top Legal Awards
- Best Italian Finance Lawyer 2012
- Best Italian Managing Partner 2011
- Best Italian Banking Lawyer 2008 and 2010