Charles Adams is Regional Managing Partner for Continental Europe and Co-Head of Finance & Capital Markets in Italy. He is a dual qualified avvocato (Italy) and solicitor (England & Wales) who is widely recognised as one of Italy's leading banking and finance lawyers.
Charles has advised banks and borrowers on some of the most significant syndicated loans, leveraged and project finance transactions in the Italian market over the past 20 years. He also advises clients on major Italian restructurings and insolvencies and is active in the Energy sector, having advised on some of Italy's landmark infrastructure and project financings and more recently on renewables transactions.
- Investec in relation to the financing for the development of several portfolios of photovoltaic power plants in Italy.
- BNP Paribas in relation to the €102 million financing of two wind farms in the municipalities of Scampitella and Vallesaccarda.
- Syndicate of banks in relation to the €130 million credit facility in favour of Avio.
- ChemChina in relation to the negotiation and finalisation of a €6.8 billion acquisition financing package underwritten by JP Morgan to fund the acquisition of a 26.2% stake in Pirelli and the consequent tender offer for up to 100% of the shares in Pirelli.
- BNP Paribas in relation to the amendment of the senior facility agreement between Giochi Preziosi and Artsana for the establishment of a new portfolio of shopping centres for children.
- Pirelli in relation to the underwriting of a new revolving and term loan multi-currency facility worth a total of €1 billion.
- The arranging banks on the EUR€1.25 billlion financing for World Duty Free Group SAU
- The coordinating committee on the restructuring of Seat Pagine Gialle
- Assicurazioni Generali on its EUR€1.8 billion programme of bilateral facilities
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Oxford University (BA Hons, Jurisprudence) 1990
- Joined Clifford Chance 1992
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1994
- Clifford Chance Rome 1994
- Clifford Chance Milan since 1999
- Partner since 2000
- Admitted as an avvocato in Italy 2005
- Managing Partner, Italy 2007
- Co-Head of Finance & Capital Markets, Italy 2018
- Regional Managing Partner, Continental Europe 2018
Awards and citations
- #1 Banking & Finance – Italy
Chambers Global and Europe 2019
- #5 Restructuring & Insolvency
Chambers Europe 2019
- Foreign Expertise in UK; Expertise based abroad in UK
Chambers Global 2019
- Leading individual in Banking & Finance
- Highly regarded in Restructuring and insolvency, Banking and Project Finance
IFLR1000 2019, Italy
- He is recognised for his “extremely strong reputation in Italy” and his prowess in negotiations.
Chambers Global and Europe 2019, Italy
- He “really understands how to compare Italian restructuring with restructuring in other countries.”
Chambers Europe 2019, Italy