Simon Thomas represents underwriters and issuers on a wide range of equity capital markets transactions including IPOs, rights issues, global depositary receipts and equity placings in the UK and internationally.
As well as being recognised as a leading ECM specialist in the UK, Simon has extensive experience of emerging markets including Africa, Russia, the CIS and the Middle East.
- Jackpotjoy on its redomiciliation from Canada and its London listing in 2017
- The underwriters in connection with Greencore on a GBP£439 million rights issue in 2016
- The underwriters in connection with the GBP£280 million secondary offering by shareholders in Secure Income REIT in 2016
- The underwriters on the IPO and Premium listing of The Gym Group in 2015
- The underwriters on the IPO and Premium listing of John Laing Group in 2015
- B&M European Value Retail on its IPO and Premium listing in London in 2014
- The underwriters on Gulf Marine Service's IPO and Premium listing in London in 2014
- Barclays on its GBP£6 billion rights issue in 2013
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Trainee Solicitor, Clifford Chance, 1996
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1998
- Partner since 2008
Awards and citations
- Simon is "a very clear and straightforward communicator" who is "very technical" and "easy to work with"
Chambers UK 2017
- Simon "brings a great deal of tact and diplomacy to the process"
Chambers UK 2016
- Simon is complimented as being "incredibly responsive and incredibly available. He has a huge group of market practice"
Chambers UK 2014
- "The go-to partner for UK work"
Legal 500 2012
- Simon "has a good understanding of the issues that matter to banks" and provides clear and solution-based advice
Chambers Global 2014
- Simon "is a very detail focused lawyer, he has an incredible work rate, if you have a case with really novel regulatory aspects or really novels points you haven't seen before, Simon is a really good guy to have for that"
Ranked as a Leading Lawyer: IFLR 1000 2013, Capital Markets
- Simon Thomas "is a favourite amongst his clients who find he has an amazing work ethic, an impressive eye for detail and is an excellent technical lawyer. He is also very good at confronting difficult issues and doesn't shy away from complexity"
Chambers UK 2013