Simon Thomas represents underwriters and issuers on a wide range of equity capital markets transactions including IPOs, rights issues, global depositary receipts and equity placings in the UK and internationally.
As well as being recognised as a leading ECM specialist in the UK, Simon has extensive experience of emerging markets including Africa, Russia, the CIS and the Middle East.
- Jackpotjoy on its redomiciliation from Canada and its London listing in 2017
- The underwriters in connection with Greencore on a GBP£439 million rights issue in 2016
- The underwriters in connection with the GBP£280 million secondary offering by shareholders in Secure Income REIT in 2016
- The underwriters on the IPO and Premium listing of The Gym Group in 2015
- The underwriters on the IPO and Premium listing of John Laing Group in 2015
- B&M European Value Retail on its IPO and Premium listing in London in 2014
- The underwriters on Gulf Marine Service's IPO and Premium listing in London in 2014
- Barclays on its GBP£6 billion rights issue in 2013
Clifford Chance advises CPPIB on the £1.4 billion sale of Liberty Living to Unite Group
9 July 2019
Clifford Chance advises JPJ Group plc on its £490 million strategic combination with Gamesys to create a world-class online gaming company
25 June 2019
Clifford Chance advises Pfizer on joint venture with GlaxoSmithKline to create a global consumer healthcare company
21 December 2018
Clifford Chance advise Provident Financial plc in relation to a strategic review and resulting £331 million rights issue
27 February 2018
International law firm Clifford Chance has advised EVRAZ plc in connection with its US$354 million disposal of the Nakhodka Trade Sea Port to Lanebrook Limited
12 May 2017
Clifford Chance advises Greenhill, HSBC, Goodbody, Jefferies and Rabobank on Greencore £439 million rights issue
4 January 2017
Clifford Chance London Equity Capital Markets team celebrates deal run
22 September 2016
Clifford Chance advises Barclays and Numis on GBP250 million IPO and premium listing of The Gym Group
10 November 2015
18 September 2019
Shanghai-London Stock Connect: A summary of the rules and requirements
18 September 2019
20 June 2019
Shanghai-London Stock Connect: What do Chinese companies need to consider?
19 June 2019
30 July 2018
Career and qualifications
- Trainee Solicitor, Clifford Chance, 1996
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1998
- Partner since 2008
Awards and citations
- Simon is "a very clear and straightforward communicator" who is "very technical" and "easy to work with"
Chambers UK 2017
- Simon "brings a great deal of tact and diplomacy to the process"
Chambers UK 2016
- Simon is complimented as being "incredibly responsive and incredibly available. He has a huge group of market practice"
Chambers UK 2014
- "The go-to partner for UK work"
Legal 500 2012
- Simon "has a good understanding of the issues that matter to banks" and provides clear and solution-based advice
Chambers Global 2014
- Simon "is a very detail focused lawyer, he has an incredible work rate, if you have a case with really novel regulatory aspects or really novels points you haven't seen before, Simon is a really good guy to have for that"
Ranked as a Leading Lawyer: IFLR 1000 2013, Capital Markets
- Simon Thomas "is a favourite amongst his clients who find he has an amazing work ethic, an impressive eye for detail and is an excellent technical lawyer. He is also very good at confronting difficult issues and doesn't shy away from complexity"
Chambers UK 2013