Simon Thomas represents underwriters and issuers on a wide range of equity capital markets transactions including IPOs, rights issues, global depositary receipts and equity placings in the UK and internationally.
As well as being recognised as a leading ECM specialist in the UK, Simon has extensive experience of emerging markets including Africa, Russia, the CIS and the Middle East.
Simon is the Africa Practice Leader for Equity Capital Markets.
- Stelrad Group on its IPO and Premium listing in London in 2021
- Volvo Cars on its IPO and Nasdeq Stockholm listing in 2021
- PensionBee on its IPO and High Growth Segment listing in London in 2021
- The underwriters on the IPO and Warsaw listing of Pepco in 2021
- The underwriters on the IPO and Euronext Amsterdam listing of InPost in 2021
- SDIC Power Holdings on its international GDR offering and Stock Connect listing in London
- Jackpotjoy on its redomiciliation from Canada and its London listing
- B&M European Value Retail on its IPO and Premium listing in London
- Barclays on its GBP£6 billion rights issue
- The underwriters on the IPO, and London listings of Calisen Group, Vivo Energy, TI Fluids Systems, The Gym Group, John Laing Group, Nostrum Oil & Gas, Gulf Marine Services, Crest Nicholson, Jubilant Oil and Gas
News and client work
- Clifford Chance, London
- +44 207006 2926
- Email me
- Practice area Capital markets
- Sector Real estate, Energy & resources, Private equity
Career and qualifications
- Trainee Solicitor, Clifford Chance, 1996
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1998
- Partner since 2008
Awards and citations
- "Simon Thomas – consummate professional. Arguably one of the top 3 UK capital markets partners in London".
Legal 500 2021
- "He knows his stuff and is equally very sensible." "When you're a sponsor doing a UK IPO, he is the individual you want to instruct".
Chambers and Partners 2021
- Simon Thomas enjoys a stellar reputation for his ECM practice, acting for underwriters, issuers and sponsors on a range of transactions. "He is a go to guy for us" reports a client, explaining that "in terms of his efficiency and technical capability, he's brilliant".
Chambers and Partners 2019
- Simon is "a very clear and straightforward communicator" who is "very technical" and "easy to work with"
Chambers UK 2017
- Simon "brings a great deal of tact and diplomacy to the process"
Chambers UK 2016
- Simon is complimented as being "incredibly responsive and incredibly available. He has a huge group of market practice"
Chambers UK 2014
- "The go-to partner for UK work"
Legal 500 2012
- Simon "has a good understanding of the issues that matter to banks" and provides clear and solution-based advice
Chambers Global 2014
- Simon "is a very detail focused lawyer, he has an incredible work rate, if you have a case with really novel regulatory aspects or really novels points you haven't seen before, Simon is a really good guy to have for that"
Ranked as a Leading Lawyer: IFLR 1000 2013, Capital Markets
- Simon Thomas "is a favourite amongst his clients who find he has an amazing work ethic, an impressive eye for detail and is an excellent technical lawyer. He is also very good at confronting difficult issues and doesn't shy away from complexity"
Chambers UK 2013